Options

Rinker 2006 390 express cruiser leaning to the left side ( potential unbalanced load or waterlogged?

We boughtthis rinker 2006 390nexpress cruiser this summer and noticed that it is leaning approx 2 inches to the left . We see that all 8 batteries are on the left, 6 of them right beside holding tank on the left and 2 in front of the left engine. We are thinking of moving batteries to the right. This being said all summer we have filled the right tank completely and left tank half to balance the boat. Quick math is that this is roughly 150 gallon of gaz in the right and 75 on the left side . A difference of around 400 pounds.  So we are wondering would moving batteries really make a difference or is it possible we have waterlogged (foam) in it.   We look in various places in the boat other than in the engine room we don t see water. From your experience could this be possible, how could we find out as it is hard to see before moving batteries.  Any thoughts on this welcome ! Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure that there’s any potential for water logging - stringers maybe but I haven’t seen any comments on that problem with an EC on here. 

My 330 lists to starboard. I thought about swapping the freshwater (starboard) and wastewater (port) tanks but with the dinghy attached it will list no matter what. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adjusting the batteries is probably your best option and account for atleast someone in the captain seat for leveling it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had a survey which would have found waterlogged wood. That is just so incredibly unlikely, it would have to be so wide spread and so wet to cause that kind of a list, pretty much not possible. While the batteries and holding tank are culprits, very likely that fuel is a major culprit. If you have mechanical gauges they are probably off. If it’s really bothering you fill both tanks to totally full. My diesel cruisers 390 will have an inch or more list depending on the fuel tanks. When the tank on the generator side had about 30 gal less than the other side I noticed a slight list, I then filled the generator side to be around 25 gal above the other and the list shifted to the generator side and with using the genny a lot she is pretty level now. For me that is 180+ lbs and fuel tanks are typically very far outboard outside of the engines. Look at fuel next...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    It's not water.  The hull is solid fiberglass.  There's no way stringers could hold enough water to make the boat list.  

You can do a test.  Start disconnecting batteries and temporarily moving them to the other side.  When the boat sits level, you will know how many batteries to move.  

By the way -- eight batteries?  Meaning you have 5-6 batteries in the house bank? 
  • Options
    scousinescousine Member Posts: 73
    Thanks for the feebdack, ok glad to hear waterlogged might be low probability, for the mechanical gauge being off. We went twice to put some gaz in we completely filled the tank on the right (when it was fulled the usual click from the gaz pump and you could hear as we were filling right tank was full). Then we ask to fill the left tank (looking at our gauges that was close to empty to half of the tank...which brought the boat at perfect level . We could try to fill both tank full to see outcome...based on what we have seen , our assumption is it would lean toards,left again. Might still be worth trying to your point since Other than batteries all on the left we are not too sure what it could be .
  • Options
    I only have 1 house battery and I know it's only a 280 but I still have all the same stuff as a bigger boat. More than two on a rinker seems to be a bit much in my opinion. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Larea , yes 6 batteries in the house bank.
  • Options
    No an expert at it . Instead of 6 batteries may be we should,go back down to 4 as long qs they are good batteries. This could help with the issue of too much weight one side a little
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they 6v or 12v for the house?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
  • Options
    How many AH are those house batteries, it would seem you could turn on just about all your 12v devices and run atleast 24hrs. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    If you look at rechecking balance ensure you have the same fuel level in tanks, fresh water is full and holding tank empty and I think back to 3 batteries (unless out of the factory it had 4). That should be the baseline to then start moving or adding back batteries in different places to see the result.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    My boat is basically same boat.  I'd suggest having two really good house batteries.  That is your problem, period.  I also boat with someone that has a 2006 390, but with diesels.  They also only have 2 house batteries and no list.  I'd suggest the tppl NorthStar batteries, top of the line!  Also the proper charger to go with it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listing is an issue. Those batteries weigh a lot. Also, where is your water tank, on same side or opposite of the batteries? And the waste tank?  All those things contribute to the boat listing one way or the other, or being level if properly balanced.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks Mark B, yes for now we suspect it s the weight of these batteries which is why will try to move them. Our holding tank is right beside these 6 batteries completely to the left of the engine room. Our water tank is actually in the middle in the kitchen area under the floor. Plus on the left we have two refrigerators and ice maker. On the right only the water heater and generator.  Crossing our fingers that moving 3 or 4 batteries to the left in front of the right engine where there is space (and the only space available for them) it will make a difference.
  • Options
    Or will just go with dream in recommendation and keep only two house batteries (as opposed to 6)
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Dream INN , where do you have your 2 house batteries located? And 2 batteries to start your engines? Also with the two house battery, how many hours do you have with them roughly before having to reconnect to charge them. Thanks again
    Post edited by scousine on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I have all 4 on the port side.  I can go on anchor for about 10 hours on the house batteries and the about 2-3 hrs of charging I'm good to go again. 2 are starting and two house connected in parallel.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express