Options

Anchor question

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Is anybody using a Fortress FX-16 as their primary anchor?  I switch from a standard plow to a Rocna (shovel) style hoping to have better luck with holding.  This weekend I had a case where I ended up using my stern anchor (Fortress FX-11) off the bow to grab when the Rocna couldn't.  My concern is how the Fortress would fit on the anchor roller.  the Rocna is curved like the plow what was on the boat when I got it.  

So if anybody has gone to the FX-16, please let me know how it fits up on the roller.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    You've heard the mantra "more cowbell" ... for holding, it's more chain, more chain.  For our boats, any anchor will hold with 30-60 feet of 5/16" chain.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have all chain.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that ... you know it as well as anybody here, and better than most!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had both the Fortress/Danforth style and the CQR/Plow style and here in Lake Erie's mud and dense sand the CQR/Plow catches hold the fastest. But my current boat has a Danforth on the bow and we have had no issues catching and holding, stern anchor is also a danforth. But that doesnt answer your question, does it Mike?

Our neighbor has a Rinker 320 and he had an incident this summer where he lost his Delta plow. He went to West Marine and bought a standard Danforth and while it fits his anchor roller, it is not "right" and snug, its goofy. I would think a Fortress and Danforth would fit equally goofy? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)