Options

Boat for sale - 192 Rinker Captiva

rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
Hi,
I have been in the boat market for about 6 months and have posted questions about the 192 in the past.  This one is for sale near Harrisburg about 200 miles from Pittsburgh where I live.  https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/d/mechanicsburg-2005-rinker-captiva-192/7200593207.html  I have a few questions for the group.  In order to purchase the boat I ask the owner to agree to a sea trial and an inspection by a boat mechanic.  I am going to ask the mechanic to pressure test the outdrive and do a compression test on the engine.   The boat is in excellent condition from the inspection I have preformed yesterday.  The gelcoat and seats are perfect except for the missing graphic that was removed from the port and starboard topsides.  There is fading from the gelcoat that allows traces of the graphic to remain visible.  I was thinking to just buy a new graphic available from ebay to replace the old one that was removed.  Does anyone know which graphic was color scheme was used?  I am fairly certain it was this one:  http://www.boats.za.net/boat-specs.aspx?boat=Rinker-192-Captiva-Bowrider-2009&bt=1899  Were there choices for graphics on 2005 boats from Rinker? 

Another issue I have is a tow vehicle for the boat.  I currently pull my Rinker V153 with my 6 cylinder Hyundai Tucson and it works just fine.  I know this boat is too heavy for my current Tucson.  Does anyone pull their boats with an SUV rated to pull about 3400 pounds or is a truck the only option?  The trailer on this particular boat is a Rinker Trailmaster with electronic brakes.  I would like to use an SUV to pull it so that I don't have to purchase a separate vehicle to pull the boat.  I would trade in the Tucson for something else.  Any advice on a tow vehicle would be great.   

The asking price for the boat is $12,000 and I was thinking of offering $10,000 provided the inspection did not turn up any major issues.  What does the group think about the price?  The NADA average price for this boat is $8,500 but considering the over all condition of the boat I thought the extra money was worth it. 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Craigslist link did not work
  • Options
    Beautiful boat. I’m looking at bigger though sorry
  • Options
    I am having trouble getting the owner to agree with a boat inspection.  He says he just doesn't have the time.  I think this is a red flag and I should just walk away.  I just wanted a compression check on the engine and a pressure check on the outdrive.  Is this an unreasonable request?  I have repeatedly indicated I would pay for it.  What do you think?  
  • Options
    Can’t the mechanic go to his house or where the boat is?
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unreasonable at all.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    If someone selling a boat won't let you go thru inspection, then find another boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I decided to pass on the boat because I could not arrange an inspection.  There will be others hopefully in the Pittsburgh area so I don't have to drive so far.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as it is difficult to walk from a boat you're interested in I think you made the right decision. Anyone that wouldn't allow an inspection on a hard offer is a little hinky in my opinion. Having said that, my recent sale of my 270 was made "as is-where is" on a cash deal same day. But I did conduct a thorough tour of the boat with the buyer as well as showing/explaining any issues I'd encountered and also putting him in touch with my mechanic to discuss the boat. And I accepted $30,000 on an ask of $34,000.
    Had the offer been closer to the ask I'd certainly welcome a survey/mechanical inspection.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)