Options

Blower noise and gen blower switch doesn’t work

Hello all,

So today our blower started to make a noise, so far it’s been pretty quiet, but today our or nowhere it started to get really noisy, still runs though. However the blower switch in the cabin by the generator switch doesn’t turn it on anymore, only the switch up in the helm does. It had been working fine since we got the boat, the switch in the cabin should not only turn it on, but should also override the switch in the helm, however that switch won’t do anything as of today. 

Any ideas? 

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    If the blower motor is making noise I would start with replacing that. If the motor is going out it may be requiring a high amo draw and maybe that cabin switch may not be able to get the motor relay going. 

Simple terms we have a noise maker for sleeping in our house and the low switch won't turn it on but the high switch will and then you can turn it to low setting. 

Have you tried turning the helm switch on then the cabin switch on then turning the helm switch off and see if the blower still runs? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    On mine the helm switch is one blower and the gen switch inside is another. Are you sure you only have one blower from these switches? What vessel?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    I thought he had a 280 like me and as far as I know it's one blower.  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    bert_floridabert_florida Member Posts: 69
    It’s a 290, searching for blowers now, not easy to find lol. If I turn on the helm switch and the cabin switch and then turn off the helm switch it turns off, but the helm switch lights up the cabin switch when turned on. Not sure if there are two blowers, can’t seem to find 4” duct anywhere. I know in the past I could feel air being pushed through the sides in the back right between the arch and the transom. No air being pushed now, just noise. 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    A blower that has loosened up can make a terrific racket through vibration.  Put your hand on blower when running and see if noise changes.  
  • Options
    Found two blowers, not easy to reach, but found them. One turns on with helm switch and makes a lot of noise, but doesn’t run. The other doesn’t turn on with any switch. Neither turns on with cabin switch. I guess time to replace both. 
  • Options
    I wonder if they both are supposed to come on with either switch. Maybe one pulls air in and the other pushes air out. I always assumed there was just one. 

I'll have to look at my wiring diagram. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    On my boat two blowers. Dash switch turns on both. Cabin switch is for running generator and operates the blower on the side opposite the generator exhaust to prevent sucking the exhaust back into the engine room
  • Options
    Interesting, I see two, one turns on now with the helm switch, but makes a lot of noise and doesn't really run. The other one doesn't turn on with that same helm switch. The switch next to the generator start switch in the cabin doesn't turn anything on, but its light lights up when you turn on the switch in the helm. I guess I will replace both and see what happens, they're quite cheap, so easier to replace them both than to try to figure things out. It will be a while before I can have them replaced, but I'll report back.