Options

Need to confirm boat model number for Insurance

Hi all

I'm new to boating and in need of assistance.  I need to confirm my Rinker boat model for insurance.  My carrier has it listed as 2002 Rinker 192 Captiva bow rider and I say it's a 212 captiva bow rider.  Where I can I go to confirm the model number?  I have the HID number but am unable to find the info online.

Answers

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Not being sarcastic, just measure the boat and you will know.

Rinker made both in 2002, and one is 19' long and the other is 21' long.

Also, the beam on the 212 is 8'-6", while the 192 is 8'.

You can find the build year by using the HIN, but not sure about model numbers.

And there could/should be graphics that say "Captiva 212", etc. Are there none on yours like this?

If Rinker is still answering the phone, you could also try them.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is 2003 FV310 but the insurance calls it a 312 based on the HIN and wherever they verify HIN’s against. There must be a master record like a VIN.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    bzp1bzp1 Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2020
    The boat does have the decals and they are printed to read "Captiva 212" so I agree that this should be the model but I bought the boat used and we all know how folks can change stuff.
    I tried emailing Rinker but it returned as "email recipient not found".  As for calling them, well... good luck.
    I called a dealer but did not receive a callback even though I spoke to someone at the shop.
    I spoke with my insurance agent and she only offered that I research it on the internet.  (?!?!?!?!?!?!)
    Determining the boat model is turning out to be a challenge.

I certainly appreciate the comments and I'm not offended by some light sarcasm. ;-)
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Here is what the 12 digit HIN sequence means, still doesn’t really help with the actual model #...

HINs By The Numbers

A typical hull identification number (HIN) consists of 12 letters and numbers, as in ABC12345D404.

Here's what the letters and numbers mean:

ABC: This is the U.S. Coast Guard-assigned manufacturer identification code (MIC). Go to the USCG Manufacturers Indentification page to access the Coast Guard's MIC database.

12345: This is the serial number assigned to the hull by the manufacturer. This may be a combination of letters and numbers. The letters "I," "O," and "Q" are excluded because they could be mistaken for numbers.

D. This is the month of certification, indicating the month in which construction began. "A" represents January and "L" represents December. In our example, "D" means April.

4: This is the year of certification. The number is the last digit of the year in which the boat was built. "4" in this case designates 2004.

04: This indicates the boat's model year.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    At least with the HIN number you are pretty much there. 

As TonyG13 said, just measure it. Beam would be easiest.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Another thought: What does your state/province registration papers say it is? 
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the registration paper work only lists the HIN and a basic description e.g. "2002 Rinker".
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which one is cheaper to insure?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will happen is they will insist on insuring it as they have in their computer but then if something happens they'll probably tell you that it's a different boat and they'll fight the payout. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bzp1 can you post a few pictures of the boat?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I agree with @Aqua_Aura.  This is why I am working to ensure the model is correct.  And I will post a few photos
  • Options
    Hi my fellow boaters!
    I received a response from Rinker (Polaris).  It is confirmed as a Rinker 212!  Off to the insurance I go!

Thanks for the GREAT advice!  All of you ROCK!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll that's good news. I wonder if they kept on some of the same great people that helped us over the years like Malary Wagner. Hated the idea of them losing their jobs.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    @Willhound The customer service rep that contacted me is Terri Gipson.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm thinking that the entire Rinker operation was shut down and people either let go or some maybe transferred. But at least it sounds like they might have at least kept some of the records, so that's good I guess.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)