Options

Waterproofing canvas

Can waterproofing be completed over the winter off frame or does the canvas have to be stretched i place?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always done mine off. Easier to reach all the areas. Give it a good wash and let it dry first.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always take mine home and scrub it in the driveway and then once dry apply 303 in the driveway or In the basement depending on weather. Then put it back on the boat 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Whatever you do, make sure not to get any overspray on your decks.  On my 342, I took a nasty fall and had sore ribs for two months.  
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    I always take mine home and scrub it in the driveway and then once dry apply 303 in the driveway or In the basement depending on weather. Then put it back on the boat 
    I do the same. I have a huge plastic tarp I lay on the driveway 1st. Sun will dry everything quick.
    Recent years been using Starbrite Waterproofer.

Don’t pressure wash canvas, causes heck on the stitching. Been there done that. 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    I wash on drive but don’t waterproof anymore there as it soaks through; eve with plastic it will be drawn through. Last few years have used paint roller and do it that way at the beginning of season all up on frame on a nice sunny wind free day.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/