Options

marine head/ shower operation

I have a Rinker 280 Fiesta Vee.  After taking shower in boat, the marine head is full of water from the shower sump.  Is this normal.  I replaced the joker valve and this still happens.

Answers

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    The water from the shower should be pumped overboard. Not really sure why the toilet would fill unless shower water is just getting in from the top somehow or is someone plumbed it into the the waste line for some reason. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    montyeldridgemontyeldridge Member Posts: 4
    Thank you.  I will investigate the plumbing.  I wondered why sinks would drain overboard and not shower.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your shower sump. Bilge pump in it is likely plugged or dead. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Is the actual toilet filling with water or do you just mean the floor area. I may have misunderstood that. Do what YYZRC says if the floor is filling with water. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The actual toilet is filling with water.  I replaced the joker valve because I thought it was back feeding from waste tank line.  This happens even when waste tank is empty.
  • Options
    That's really weird. I would turn the shower on and put it to the shower drain and make sure it's actually going to the shower sump and that shower sump bilge is turning on. Then try and see where it is flowing to. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Thank you.  I will investigate the plumbing.  I wondered why sinks would drain overboard and not shower.

Because the shower drain would be below the water line of the boat.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    The shower still does and should drain overboard. That's why there is a shower sump. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    It needs a pump. The shower drain in the shower is below the water line 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    It needs a pump. The shower drain in the shower is below the water line 
    Yes correct. I just didn't want him to get confused and think that the shower isn't supposed to go overboard. 

Sorry I'm sure we are saying the same thing. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try spraying the shower into the sink for a period of time and see if the toilet fills. Then try spraying it directly into the floor drain and see if the toilet fills. 

That way you can determine if it’s a fresh water problem or a waste water problem. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    The bathroom sink drains overboard.  I can hear it if window is open.  The toilet fills though when the shower drains.  I am certain that shower sump is working because the toilet is higher than the shower basin.  I now have an endoscope to see how shower drain is routed and how line from shower sump is routed and connected.  This is my first boat equipped with marine head and shower.  Thanks all for the assistance.  It seemed odd, but I honestly did not know if it was designed this way or not.  The manual pump on marine head pumps the shower water from toilet to holding tank without problem.  Obviously if the shower water was going overboard, I would not have to empty holding tank as often.  I have been camping a few nights a week on this boat I purchased a few months ago while working out of state from my home.  About have bugs worked out and things updated!