Options

2005 270 Fiesta Vee Engine Vent fixings

BathbuoyBathbuoy Member Posts: 15
edited October 2020 in General Boating Discussions
Hi

Would anyone be able to post a picture of the outside of their engine compartment vents, two each side of the boat. Mine could do with the plastic fittings replacing, and I am not sure if they should have covers or grilles.

many thanks
Rinker 270 instagram diary : sea_dream

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bathbuoy said:
    Hi

Would anyone be able to post a picture of the outside of their engine compartment vents, two each side of the boat. Mine could do with the plastic fittings replacing, and I am not sure if they should have covers or grilles.

many thanks
    Can you post a pic of yours?
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    https://www.replacementboatparts.com/Ventgrill4ssdomed.aspx
    A lot of guys here have used these because the hose clips on without clamps. Saves having to try to get hose attached from under the gunnels. Pull the hose out thru the hole, attach hose to vent and install vent. On my to do list this winter
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Brilliant thank you.

I am due to complete the purchase of the boat in the next couple of days and know there are a few things to tidy up. I am not due to go back down to see her for a few days so this is the best photo I have that shows what is currently there.

My very first boat, and I am on a steep learning curve, so hopefully will be fun tidying up all these small issues. 

Out of interest one other thing mentioned was the lip around the top of the engine bay has no additional foam type seal. Hence as some water/spray might have come through particularly the flat part at the back under the rear bench there is a small amount of corrosion on some of the engine bolts and connections, and a small amount of water in the bilge. Has anyone added a additional seal to the lip.

Many thanks all.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Brilliant many thanks.

I am in the process of completing the purchase in the next couple of days. I am not due to go see her for a few days so below is the best photo I have of the vents.

It is my first boat, so am on a steep learning curve, but hopefully it will be fun tidying up some of these fairly minor issues.

Out of interest has anyone added any additional foam type seal around the top of the engine bay lip? The surveyor suggested that some water/spray may have entered the engine bay, particularly via the flat part under the rear bench, as the lip only seals against the underside of the hatch. Some of the engine bolts and connectors have small amounts of corrosion, and there is a small amount of water in the bilge.

Many thanks all.

Post edited by Bathbuoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Brillaint many thanks, just what I needed.

I am in the process of buying the boat which should be completed in the next couple of days. I am not due to see her again for a few days so this image is the best I have of the vents.

It will be my first boat so am on a steep learning curve, although hopefully it will be fun sorting out these fairly minor issues.

Also has anyone added any extra foam type seal around the top of the engine bay lip? The surveyor noticed that some of the engine bolts and connectors have small amounts of corrosion, and some water in the bilge, which he though might be due to water/spray getting in where the lip only seals against the underside of the hatch. Particularly via the flat section under the rear bench.

Many thanks all.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally you do not want to put any foam seal tape in the gutter around your engine room as it will prevent water from draining and the gutters will overflow in to the engine room. First check to see if dirt and debris is clogging up the hatch gutters and making the water over flow. I had that many times on my 342.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More than likely it's just humidity in the bilge, often caused by leaking steering pins if you have a Merc
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I think he was thinking about putting some seal on the very top of the lip rather than in the gutter, just to seal better against the hatch. I will sponge out the small amount of water in there and monitor if it comes back. The boat has a Volvo Penta D4 260.

thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Whooaaaaa everyone we have another diesel on the forum 👍 Handy will be so happy!! 

Are you in Europe? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Haha @Aqua_Aura yes we are. We were looking for something slightly more economical as a first boat, and where we are I understand not all marinas and fuel stations have petrol.
  • Options
    I am a big fan of diesel and our next boat will have diesel as it will be much larger and for long range cruising. There are so few Rinkers in America that are diesel. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Send pic of Motor. Now!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @Handymans342  First days of cleaning, engine compartment needs quite a bit.

• Options
  • Options
    I understand diesel will make more torque than gas but that seems really small. What is your top speed or atleast what speed do you get on plane at. 

Tried to find the torque on that engine but I don't see it anywhere. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Man look at all that room 
    I have the same engine in a 2013 290ec and I have no where near that room.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    Oh I found it. Looks to be about 450 ft lbs
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I understand diesel will make more torque than gas but that seems really small. What is your top speed or atleast what speed do you get on plane at. 

Tried to find the torque on that engine but I don't see it anywhere. 
    Aqua, I have the same engine on the 290. I get about 30 knots full throttle but it's a great engine and my diesel bill is ridiculously small.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    https://www.volvopenta.com/about-us/news-media/press-releases/2004/aug/news-20748/

This quotes 

Max. torque 615 Nm at 2,000 rpm

Tests conducted by Volvo Penta show that the D4-260 DP lives up to its promises. Two identical Nimbus 250 Nova R boats were taken for a test run – one fitted with a D4-260 DP and the other with a Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, a 320-horsepower five-liter V8 with a Duoprop drive.

The D4-260 diesel engine accelerated faster than the gasoline-driven V8. For up to 25 knots, the D4-260 was 1.5 seconds, or 15%, faster. Moreover, fuel consumption at cruise speed is about 30% lower for the D4-260 than for the 5.7GXi.

• Options
    The problem I had with this engine as a single screw was the massive torque is has at low rpm. Very difficult to handle in close quarters until I added thrusters.
  • Options
    Bathbuoy said:
    https://www.volvopenta.com/about-us/news-media/press-releases/2004/aug/news-20748/

This quotes 

Max. torque 615 Nm at 2,000 rpm

Tests conducted by Volvo Penta show that the D4-260 DP lives up to its promises. Two identical Nimbus 250 Nova R boats were taken for a test run – one fitted with a D4-260 DP and the other with a Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, a 320-horsepower five-liter V8 with a Duoprop drive.

The D4-260 diesel engine accelerated faster than the gasoline-driven V8. For up to 25 knots, the D4-260 was 1.5 seconds, or 15%, faster. Moreover, fuel consumption at cruise speed is about 30% lower for the D4-260 than for the 5.7GXi.

Now that’s a drop the mike statement
  • Options
    I'm sure that low end torque definitely helps get up to speed quick. I didn't realize @MiamiAG had a diesel. The gasoline engines have a small torque curve compared to diesel, heck diesel barely has a curve it's just a line way up high. 

It's great having all that extra room as well, I have an 8.1 V8 so a 3.7 I4 would make tons more storage space down below. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The issue with these engines is overheating at higher rpms. The heat exchangers are getting clogged way too quickly. I have 40 hours on mine and I've had to take it for an acid bath to descale it.
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I'm sure that low end torque definitely helps get up to speed quick. I didn't realize @MiamiAG had a diesel. The gasoline engines have a small torque curve compared to diesel, heck diesel barely has a curve it's just a line way up high. 

It's great having all that extra room as well, I have an 8.1 V8 so a 3.7 I4 would make tons more storage space down below. 
    Yes sir. I almost sold the boat after 6 months because I couldn't control her. The big diesel torque curve which is just a straight line up, plus the dual props made it buck like a wild horse. 

I even hired a boat captain to help me learn to drive her. He tried to take her out of the slip and after one buck, he told me there was something wrong with my boat and left...