No sound in cockpit speakers but sound inside - any stereo experts out there?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Hi,

So here’s the issue:

Sound in the cabin speakers but no sound in the three cockpit speakers.

Here are the facts:

Amp is the Nautic Nau 260 MBQuart. It turns on and is not on diagnostic mode. Pulled the two onboard fuses and saw they were fine. All speaker wires seem to be securely connected to the amp base. 

Question:

Any stereo electrical experts out there that can help me diagnose the potential issue? I find it hard to believe that all three cockpit speakers would go out at the same time.

Thank you!

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Check your fader and balance also check that the wires are screwed in tight. My speakers were intermittent and one of the screws was slightly loose. 

You could also swap the wire connectors around put the cockpit speakers in the cabin connection to know if maybe it's a bad output on the amp. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    What is the gain set to?  I had my gain set too high and it was sending sound to the cockpit only as a result. On my boat it seems that the cabin speakers aren't powered by the amp.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cockpit speakers run off the amp and are in the "rear" position on the fader out of the stereo. The cabin speakers run off the stereo's internal amp and are the "front" position on the fader.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That happened to my boat. Cabin worked cockpit did not. Problem: Bad amp
  • MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Thanks, guys.

I tried the fader and the balance and no love with that. I will have to look for the gain on the stereo. 

Handy, was your amp lighting up like normal but not working or was it dead?

2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MiamiAG said:
    Thanks, guys.

I tried the fader and the balance and no love with that. I will have to look for the gain on the stereo. 

Handy, was your amp lighting up like normal but not working or was it dead?

Yes it looked like it was on but no output. Once I changed that and 4 speakers I could light up the whole dock
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same with mine, take the amp out of the equation and your speakers will prob work. I just eliminated the amp, bought a new head unit and run it like that. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    The amp does seem like overkill just to operate 5 speakers, I wondered why my boat has an amp when I got it. Especially if you have a newer more powerful head unit although I think most are 20wx4. I upgraded to the Clarion M508 from the old original one but I do still have the amp since it works and is already there. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988