Options

Mag 350 engine cleaning

Do you guys clean your engines from time to time?
When I was down there doing my oil change today I thought it looked kinda dirty to me.
If you do, what product and process do you use?
Something like simple green? Are there areas to avoid getting wet? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used degreaser to remove belt dust and general grime.  With some products you have to be careful to avoid the hoses.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I just did my engine and bilge with some stuff from the dollar store called Awesome.  I have a diesel so she's a little more greasy than a sbc. No pressue washer, just a garden hose and shop vac to suck out what water wouldnt drain out drain plug.  

I like purple power too but it sometimes is too strong. 

Some of the new dawn power wash is really good and wont hurt any hoses or belts. That is degreaser that at worst dries out your skin.  

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Purple Power is great but let's be honest, if your boat needs Purple Power you either just bought a dirty project boat or maybe boating isn't for you if you let it get that bad 😂
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Purple Power is great but let's be honest, if your boat needs Purple Power you either just bought a dirty project boat or maybe boating isn't for you if you let it get that bad 😂
    Hey now, I use purple power in my bilge quite often.  Honestly, I pour a little in there every couple weeks.  My wife likes the smell of it in there.  (& I know my boat isn't that dirty! :wink: )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭
    For those that stay in a slip, a little purple power in the bilge, mixed with rain water, let it slosh around all weekend under normal use then vac out before heading home. I bet it stays nice and fresh
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Has anyone ever used ice in the bilge for cleaning? Someone told me to use a bag or two of ice with bilge cleaner and take it for a run and the ice will help with the scrubbing of the bilge. Not sure if this works so wonder it if anyone has tried this. 
    I have, but not sure if the results were worth wasting two good bags of ice. Yes, it sloshed around and as it melted the bilge pump kicked it out. But I could do the same thing in 5 minutes with a water hose. Going back to when I had a transom oil leak I found one of the best cleaners (and supposedly better for the environment) was about a half a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed into a 1 quart spray bottle topped up with water. Spray it all around, let it sit for a while and then just hose it out.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Tried the ice thing last year. Sprayed the bottom of the bilge with Simple Green and then threw in a few bags of ice. Did my normal run to storage. Basically had water mixed with Simple Green and dirt still stuck to the bilge. In my case that myth was busted.