batteries

My storage is in central Il,(Shelbyville).Take out the batteries or leave in and charge occasionally? 4xs

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Leave in. 
    2008 330 EC on Georgian Bay
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave in.  I have a few projects lined up so I'll be using the lights and stereo for entrainment while I do a valve adjustment, replace the gimball bearing etc.  

I have power at the garage so the shore power is usually always on.  
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAModerator Posts: 4,713 mod
    Check with your insurance company. You may have to remove to be fully decommissioned. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remove mine and keep them on trickle charge for the winter. Cold temperatures can degrade the batteries, figured this will help longevity.

2008 330EC
  • shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIMember Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20
    aero3113 said:
    I remove mine and keep them on trickle charge for the winter. Cold temperatures can degrade the batteries, figured this will help longevity.

I have that same four bank battery tender. It was pricey but definitely worth it. I don’t use it for my boat batteries though. I use for all my other toys, I attached the quick connect to the batteries on my other toys so all I have to do is pull them in and plug in. I bought the extended connectors and ran them through the rafters so the cords drop down right where I park them. 
  • captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 8
    Toolmaker312 nice to see another Lake Shelbyville boater here. I was taught that a fully charged battery will not freeze. That being said we keep our 232 in our unheated pole barn & typically take out battery, charge & put in house for the winter.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Member Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you leave in, disconnect the blacks 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Disconnecting makes it annoying to close the hatch... what's the benefit?
    2008 330 EC on Georgian Bay
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTMember Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭
    Some storage place's require it. Stops any drain on the batteries. If your shore pwer is hooked up and battery changer on you shpuld be able to close hatch.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • raybo3raybo3 Revere MAModerator Posts: 4,713 mod
    Again most insurance policies require removal. You really should check with them.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 , with shore power on, charger on and batteries removed, the hatch should close? That’s good to know if yes.
    2008 330EC
  • toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 24
    No shore where it is dry docked and Checked with insurance and they said check manuals. I am leaning towards leaving them in and try to charge occasionally. Solar chargers any good?