Options

Stereo craziness - can you help me figure this out?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭

So this is the back of my old stereo. Notice the red and black which are rear audio outs that go into the amplifier. To the right of that is the other connections including direct to speakers.

Now this is the amplifier:

I am assuming that the two cabin speakers are directly connecting to the stereo. Then the audio out goes to the amplifier and the three speakers out in the cockpit connect to the amplifier.

However, look at the top connections on the amplifier. There seems to be 8 speaker wires connecting when I was expecting to see 6 (2 for each of the 3 speakers). Is there a mysterious and hidden speaker in the cockpit that I am not aware of or do I have all of this wrong?

Thanks!

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There could be a hidden sub-woofer somewhere?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if you didn’t have 4 cockpit speakers for balance
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I have a different amp but just going off memory I think I have 8 speaker wires as well and same boat. 

Maybe the whole boat is off the amp and the 2 cockpit speakers on starboard split at the helm speaker to go to the one on the starboard arch. 

I know we have discussed before that the cabin speakers are not on the amp but I'm not sure where that came from so maybe it was speculation that became "fact"?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Turn off power to the amp and see if you get sound in the cockpit. 
  • Options
    Oh that's where that came from. When people didn't have power to the amp they did have cabin speakers. Ok so now just more confusion. ☹️
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Thanks guys. The night caught up to me. Will be doing these tests tomorrow. Stay tuned!
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Oh that's where that came from. When people didn't have power to the amp they did have cabin speakers. Ok so now just more confusion. ☹️
    My cabin speakers are powered by the head unit, not the amp. 
  • Options
    It looks like the 290 has 2 speakers at the back Port and stabrd and one up front on port side. Is there also 1 at the helm like a 280. That would give you the 4 speakers. Just going off a picture I found online of the 290. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 4 speakers in the cockpit running off of the amp. Two on the left channel two on the right channel. Each has a positive and negative wire, so that is why you are seeing 8 wires, two for each speaker. The solid color wire is the positive and the wire with the black tracer is the negative.

Green and Green/black are port (left) forward speaker
    Orange and Orange/black are port rear speaker
    Purple and Purple/black are starboard (right) forward speaker
    Brown and Brown/Black are starboard rear speaker
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Figured it out. Obviously, the rats nest of wires combined with a couple of beers caused me to overlook one cockpit speaker. I didn’t remember it was there because it’s been broken since day one.

Problem fixed except for figuring out how to reconfigure the new amp. Speaker connectors should be standardized. 
  • Options
    As I was attempting to help I had also realized I forgot about the speaker on my boat at the port front of the cockpit. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I replaced my 2 channel amp with a 5 channel amp. Each speaker location had it's own channel and I added a sub to finish the sound.

The colors are standard colors for a car audio system.
    Go Steelers!!!