Any good ideas to remove these stereo remotes?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Hi,

So my boat came with the Sony stereo remotes at the helm and by the swim platform.

Unfortunately, these are wired remotes and require a hole to be cut to accommodate them. Now I’m switching to the Fusion ANT remotes that just stick where you want them. Has anyone done something similar and have any bright ideas of how to “close up” the holes left behind from these remotes or am I stuck just hiring someone to do some fiberglass work?

Thanks,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Mine at the swim platform is right at the door so when I eventually remove it as it currently does nothing since I upgraded the stereo, I had planned on getting a downward light and wiring it into the cockpit lights. Seems like a good area to have some more light. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Stick the wireless remotes over the holes.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An expensive approach but I replaced the helm audio remote with a bow thruster joystick. The transom remote I had filled for about $500. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Stick the wireless remotes over the holes.  
    I need to see if the new remote is bigger than the old one. I don’t think it is but will check.
    edited October 2020
    You could build a base out of 1/4” starboard to mount under the remote and cover the hole. I did that for the audio remote that I mounted where the macerator control was. I needed the starboard because the screw holes that held the switch plate in place were visible.  I later filled the screw holes and therefore didn't need the starboard anymore.

Post edited by YYZRC on
    YYZRC said:
    You could build a base out of 1/4” starboard to mount under the remote and cover the hole. I did that for the audio remote that I mounted where the macerator control was. 

Wow that looks nice! How did you stick it on there? Also, did you have it cut for you? Looks like a perfect circle and routed edges.
    I used a hole saw and then routed the edge.  It is held in place with the bracket that came with the remote.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Art I'm doing the exact same thing. Getting rid of the Sony deck & 2 wired remotes. Fusion to replace.
    Like the YYZ idea....

Not too sure about the $500 gel coat repair to make it disappear. 

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3d print something... send me a design, I'll print it for you. 
    J3ff said:
    3d print something... send me a design, I'll print it for you. 
    Jeff, you're going to have to explain a little more. I'm a bit old for all the 3d print thing.
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll throw you guys a couple bucks for your wired Sony remotes, just FYI. :)
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3