Options

Paid for corona virus most likely tests?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
My step mom tested covid positive. She had what she thought to be a cold all weekend. Monday she was tested before being able to go to work and tested positive.  She's well, just has cold symptoms like runny nose and congestion.

The weird thing is they offered her 75 bucks to come take another test on Wednesday.  

She didn't ask if it was for research or if they were reporting it as another positive covid test.  Her symptoms had started over the weekend so a second positive test is most likely.  Asking what the catch was would have been the first thing out of my mouth.

This isn't a research lab, no affiliation with the hospital or any local university.  This is just your run of the mill family practice.  

Has anyone else heard of this?   I'm assuming there's some sort of financial perk to this for each positive test the Drs office sends in.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited November 2020
    I think it's less sinister than that.  

In practical terms, she doesn't need a second test.  For most test methods, the rate of "false positives" is near zero.  In other words, if you test positive, it's almost certain that you have COVID, and you don't need a second test.  

However, the "false positive" rate for that particular test kit has to be confirmed by real-world data.  The data comes from people who test positive, then take a second test to confirm the first one.  Companies that make tests would typically offer a small cash stipend as an incentive for patients to take a second test.  That way, the company gets an additional data point to confirm the low "false positive" rate.

Personally, I'd do it.  Take the cash, and help doctors better understand the test results.  

Negative results are different.  Most tests have a "false negative" rate of 30-50%, so it's common for a COVID-positive person to test negative.  A negative result should always be followed by a second test (if you need to prove the negative result).  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I'm guessing about this, of course.  I don't work in that business. 

Is there a financial perk for the doctor's office?  Yes, I'm guessing they get a stipend for administering the second test, because they're not gonna do it for free.  But I bet it's not a money-maker.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @LaRea. Contrary to certain statements made by certain people, healthcare does not benefit from positive tests. Just puts more strain on the system. And having been tested myself I can safely say it would take at least that amount of money for me to want to go back for a second test a few days later. Not the worst procedure but certainly makes your eyes water for a bit.
    Wishing your Mom a speedy recovery @PickleRick.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thank you @Willhound

My dad is older and not in the best health so the big worry is him getting it.  I have dropped some stuff off for him a few evenings this week so he could tinker with his new to him John Deere 3000 front end loader with backhoe attachment.  Hes staying busy in quarantine with her.  Ever time I've dropped by he sat on the porch to have a beer and talked to me while I stood in the drive way.  They are in good spirits so that helps.   I'm going over there tonight with the kiddo to do another a drive way visit....bringing a beer of my own tonight.  

I certainly hope if she tested positive the 2nd time they dont report it as a 2nd person with covid, that's my biggest worry.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make your biggest worry taking care of your parents not some statistics. 

Now the other very important thing is this tractor. Do we get to see some pictures what tinkering is he doing? I have been in the market for a tractor for quite awhile but it's hard to find a decent used one both price, condition and features. I think my only option seems to be buying a new one. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Sorry it's a 300 not 3000. This and the injection pump are the only pics I have.  He got it with a trailer.  Guy said it wasn't running, my dad drove it onto the trailer once he paid for it.  Sold the trailer to pay for nearly all of the tractor.  My dad has a 50s model ford tractor just like this one only a little smaller and an I believe an 865 new Holland skidsteer.    I'll try to get pics tonight.  He likes his toys.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    I've been looking at something with a backhoe larger than a small home tractor. I like John Deere but I did go look at Yanmar as well since that's the only dealer at our second home and I was impressed. Didn't realize Yanmar has been making John Deere tractors up till a few years ago and as we all should know the Yanmar engines are great. 

Always nice to have some toys to work on and play with 😃
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I walked into that one 😂. If he was closer I probably would have bought it before he got the hose fixed and he was desperate to offload it. Flying Sparks Garage on YouTube got a Bayliner that had a bad outdrive for about 10k probably a 25k boat and they put an outdrive on and it was all good to go. Nice to find a good deal/project. 

https://youtu.be/I-aDjJ9mnoc
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    It's a bayliner...it probably sank.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ha ha, I'm still ready to off load it, just delaying till spring.!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I walked into that one 😂. If he was closer I probably would have bought it before he got the hose fixed and he was desperate to offload it. Flying Sparks Garage on YouTube got a Bayliner that had a bad outdrive for about 10k probably a 25k boat and they put an outdrive on and it was all good to go. Nice to find a good deal/project. 

https://youtu.be/I-aDjJ9mnoc
    That is awesome, what a cool thing to do as a couple!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Did you make it over there @PickleRick for a visit and beer? Hope they are doing well!! 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura that video is great. I’m watching it and saying to myself I know this couple! They actually have a show on Motor Trend and usually do car projects. Very cool!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah they have a really well done channel. I started following then when they bought the boat. They do a good job! I haven't seen them on motor trend I'll have to search for it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    @Aqua_Aura : Live, Love, Wrench is the name of the show.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I did make it but but it was dark by the time I got there. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    They paid 20% more in top of any payment for a positive test or patient to any medical institution. 
  • Options
    So far ive had my step mom, one of her sisters, the sisters bf and a nephew test positive for covid.  The all had mild cold symptoms.

Ive got another aunt who had had flu symptoms worse than the rest for longer and tested negative twice.  

Luckily none of them have been hospitalized.

My sisters mother in law has been hospitalized due to low oxygen.  I've not been told how long or gotten an update nor do I know how her health was before getting covid.

I hope all you guys stay well especially for the holidays
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dalek said:
    Lucky you are not from the U.K.

Now that is funny!  Wonder if that was intentional. I might have made the mistake, and then looked at it and realized, and decided to keep it, just for the humor!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"