De-oxiding gel coat.

DonGarganoDonGargano Member Posts: 60
Was thinking about trying to spruce up the gel coat and decals on my 96 Rinker 212 Festiva Cuddy.  The dark blue gel coat along the hull is pretty badly oxidized. I have watched 10 different videos on the wet-sanding and polishing process, and I was prepared to invest some money and work into that this coming spring. (I just had shoulder reconstruction - so only one arm until March!).  Then someone told me that I could try using Nu Finish, with a polisher. 

By the way, I had a professional estimate done..roughly $6500 Cdn to do whole boat, including patching and new anti-fouling paint.  I only paid $4000 (plus about $1200 for some long overdue maintenance, and $5000 for a new trailer) for the boat...so I've already put in more than I would get for resale.

Any thoughts on the oxidation issue?  Thanks

Comments

• mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Post some pics, get some better recommendations.
    $6500 to polish & bottom paint is ridiculous.

Get a good 7” rotary buffer & a bunch of wool pads. Try Meguiars for a variety of buffing compounds.
    Once you get the gel coat in reasonable shape, it will get easier to buff each season if you stay on top of it.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the relatively narrow band of blue gelcoat, plus the giant decal on the side that I assume you would be willing to say goodbye to, I would recommend either having the blue gelcoat area vinyl wrapped or painted. It won’t cost much and zero maintenance. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Was thinking about trying to spruce up the gel coat and decals on my 96 Rinker 212 Festiva Cuddy.  The dark blue gel coat along the hull is pretty badly oxidized. I have watched 10 different videos on the wet-sanding and polishing process, and I was prepared to invest some money and work into that this coming spring. (I just had shoulder reconstruction - so only one arm until March!).  Then someone told me that I could try using Nu Finish, with a polisher. 

By the way, I had a professional estimate done..roughly $6500 Cdn to do whole boat, including patching and new anti-fouling paint.  I only paid $4000 (plus about $1200 for some long overdue maintenance, and $5000 for a new trailer) for the boat...so I've already put in more than I would get for resale.

Any thoughts on the oxidation issue?  Thanks
    To be honest, having full use back or enough to wet is a stretch, I have both done and even just buffing can be a strain on a recent repair on shoulder. Don’t underestimate recovery time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    I use Presta Super Cut the Presta Gel Coat to get it pretty shiny. After that you can use your favorite polish with a rotary buffer to get that high gloss shine then a good coat of wax