Options

Edmund Fitzgerald sank 45 yrs ago - today

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
November storms in the Great Lakes are deadly.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tragic incident, but for some reason I just love that song! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Annnnnnnnd thanks.  For the earworm.  Usually takes me a good eight hours to shake that one
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best part of a ballad! Can’t shake it from your head. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that day well. My grandfather and uncles worked the iron ore mines in the UP of Michigan, one uncle sailed on the ore ships too back in the day. I still have the flag off one the Cleveland Cliffs flag ship from the early 70’s. Losing the ship and its crew hit a lot of communities involved in the iron ore world. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I was doing some reading about the Fitzgerald and one of the things that jumped out at me regarding its history was the installation of a bow thruster in 1969.

Started researching the history of bow thrusters and found out their usage is basically a fairly modern (in nautical terms) invention -- mid to late 1960's.

Found an article quoting an old salt about the "new" technology in the New York Times from 1970:

"A ship can still be docked here in what Capt. Demetrio Conti of the Home Line's Homeric called “the old way” yesterday after bringing her into her berth on the north side of Pier 84 at the noon slack tide without benefit of either tugs or thrusters."

The SS Homeric was 641 LOA.

I can't even image navigating a 600+ foot ship with one screw - and nothing else.

I had a hard enough time with a 25' single engine I/O Alpha One drive. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if prop walk is a thing at 600+ ft. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much need for maneuverability at that size since it's the tugboats that move you in and out of ports. Interesting process to see. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988