Cummins / winterizing

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
Just looking for some input. It looks like my motor will not be going back into the boat before shrink wrap. The motor will be stored in a heated shop and has been drained of all water ( just in case ). I was wondering about the muffler and shaft seals ( hose from transmission cooler pumps raw water through it ). Is there anything I need to do to winterize the engine components left on the boat. Thanks 

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My engines (Volvo diesel) run antifreeze through both shaft seals to cool them. Nice thing is that both engines run raw water through both shafts so if you just run the remaining engine with antifreeze you should be winterizing both shafts. When I winterized each motor, both shafts peed. Can you run the remaining motor?

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Yes I winterized the starboard motor and it peed water/ antifreeze through the shafts. I will see maybe I can blow some air through the hose. Do you think the muffler will have water in it ? 
    edited November 2020
    Yes the muffler will have water in it. There should be plenty of room for water to rise and expand in the muffler just like your freshwater tank and if disconnected it may dry out. That said, pretty easy for you to just dump antifreeze into the muffler, right? I would dump AF in just to be safe. A cracked muffler isn’t the end of the world but I’m sure with the engine work you’d rather not have to buy a muffler. 

Not sure on transmission cooler but I think you may be able to pour antifreeze in and it will come out. I have a muffler on my genny but not on my mains 

Thanks Liberty, maybe I will shove the hose of my shop vac in the muffler and then can add some anti freeze, I can also see if I can blow air through the shaft hose
    Sure. If antifreeze came out the shaft hoses you should be fine. I ran 6 gal through each engine and both shaft hoses peed purple. Also I think the shaft hoses drain themselves but that’s just my opinion.

good plan on shop vacuum. Maybe you can also blow air through transmission? That I’m not sure on.

Vacuumed out muffler and put some antifreeze in it. Blew air from the inside of the boat through the hose and confirmed air coming out of shaft on the outside. I think I am good. Thanks 
    edited November 2020
    Nice work!! Have to admit I was a little worried when I saw those shafts peeing but then figured out it’s normal for cooling. Relief!