Options

Sink drains question

I recently purchased a new to me 2005 320 FV so Im learning as I go. When I run water down the drain of any of the three sinks onboard the water is not exiting out the drain holes on the side of the hull so I therefore assume that it is going into the waste water holding tank. There are drain outlet holes in the hull in the general area of the sinks. Is there a way to thank this so I don't fill my holding take so quickly? Or could this be an enviromental requirement. I am in Canada. No, its not leaking out anywhere.

Answers

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Welcome to the forum and Rinker boating.

In general, sinks usually drain directly overboard. Can't speak to CA regulations, but maybe a previous owner did reroute them to the holding tank.

Your best, most accurate, way to check is to trace each sink drain visually. I would start with the galley sink. Open the cabinet door and start there and work your way aft. To see behind the refrigerator you can easily lift up the stove. From there you can remove the head cabinet (4-6 screws) to see the head sink as well as where the drain feeds from the galley. After that it should be just a matter of seeing where they enter the engine compartment and the holding tank.

Great way to learn about your boat and its systems.

Good luck. Explore. Take pictures.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally no problem with grey water going overboard in Canada except in a very few specific waterways. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of guys on here who in addition to their black water waste holding tank, have a grey water holding tank for sink and shower drains. As said it’s the law on some lakes, I can’t imagine having to operate that way. Should be a pretty easy change back to overboard if that is what you have. Agree with the comments here that you will need to explore. I had a 310 which is almost the same boat as a 320 and the holding and freshwater tanks were in the engine room. I’d start there...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Cockpit sink should be easiest to trace drain hose. Try removing waste basket to help
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Some waterways or lakes do have restrictions - for Lake George up here you not only have to pipe to holding tank but I believe need to plug the through hull to show its obvious you’re not putting gray water overboard. If you find you have areas you are restricted in and visit at times, pipe to through hulls via a valve you can operate to select which way to direct.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Son in law had a 4Winns 268 with a separate gray water tank for sinks and shower.  I’d look in engine room or under aft mattress.  Have someone pour water down sink drain and listen for it in engine room.  Also if you have a gray water tank, there would be a separate cap from black water tank for pumpout.  Probably right next to black water cap.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 330se Doral was originally constructed will a grey water take. Now it is all hooked to the shower bilge to go over board.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct