Options

Bad fire at Michigan marina

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    Hate to see that.  And I would not have put myself that close to a burning building full of exploding boats!  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    "Hammond said the biggest issue they face has been getting water to put out the fire because marinas like this one are meant for getting boats in the water, not for large trucks."

They are right on one of the largest bodies of water in the world and they had a problem getting water?! Looking at the video it looks like they just didn't have enough equipment. I would think Toledo would have fire boats that could have pumped water from the lake to shore to supply the engines.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a main heated building. Just heard that a friend of mines dads boat was in there, a 56’ sea Ray bridge. Sucks! Helicopter video from this morning shows everything in the building is completely gone. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I think the new and pre owned boat market is gonna be a lot tighter in southern Michigan next year. Usually all the racks are full and all the floor space gets  filled with the boats that are to big to put on racks.
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Don't mean to be a smart **** but what is the advantage of inside storage. I wonder what the insurance industry is going to say about this moving forward 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inside storage is heated and out of the weather. And if it's not heated atleast it is protected from the weather. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I was being sarcastic, I will take my outside not protected storage any day.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh....well then 🤨. I remember when I worked at Sears you couldn't even bring a lawnmower inside with a drop of gas in it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Inside is a no brainer for me. $200 more than outside with shrink wrap and while not heated is far warmer than being outside. I can comfortably work on the boat all winter. Boat is dry all winter, no moisture of snow and rain and no shrink wrap to work as a terrarium of enclosed moisture. My damp rid buckets get a few ounces of water at most. 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine stores at 55F all winter.  No winterizing. No sub-zero temp issues. Compared to outside, wrapping, winterizing...I’m at most $200 more inside too.  Best $200 going. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I understand the benefits of storing indoors, it is a no brainer until there is a fire. Sure if there was a fire in an outdoor yard may take out several boats but not as many. I do wonder if all our insurance renewals are on their way up.I have had boats stored outside for over 20 years and had no issue to speak of. There are benefits of both. I feel sorry for all those lost boats and their owners.Sad day if you love boats. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    In the end each method has it’s advantages and disadvantages and like the others, I would not give up my indoor storage either.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    We had an almost identical fire up our way Dec 21 2011. About an hour from Toledo Beach.
    The fall out was interesting because of being a border town - there were both Canadian & US boats in storage.

Insurance companies had a field day, the claims were weird - owners made claims with their boats stored in a different country, etc. Also owners with “agreed value” insurance made out like bandits. (boat market was kinda crappy at the time) Market value boats didn’t make out so good. Some with no insurance. It was a cluster bleep.

Cause was a light fixture at the top of the bldg, it popped & lit some canvas on a boat stored high in the racks...

That said, it might be a good idea to look closer at your “agreed value” insurance. With the increase prices of new & used boats, might be super hard to replace your current boat if it is gone.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Several years ago a guy who outside stored tied his tarp off to the jackstands...big wind storm and the tarp pulled the jackstands and it was like dominoes with the boats to the side it fell. 🤣. 

Will be interesting to see if my marina cracks down on people leaving their boats plugged in with battery chargers on all the time. 

With hundreds of boats presto gone in the Det area might drive up used boat prices. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    We are not allowed to leave boats plugged in after we leave for the night and we have to sign something saying we disconnected the batteries or we have to pay them to disconnect. But of course people leave their boats plugged in all the time. Generally if I get there and I see a boat plugged in but no one is aboard I yank the plug. 

• Options
    Just wondering what the difference is between leaving the boat plugged in while in the water versus on the hard? Depending on the circumstances you could actually have more boats in closer proximity to you on the water.
  • Options
    Every indoor storage facility I’ve been in has boats far closer together than in docks in the water. Where I am there is a boats anchor hanging over my swim platform and I’ve got 2 feet on each side. At marine Max heated it’s ridiculous, your boats stern is super low and bow super high and your neighbors anchor is hanging over your cockpit almost kissing your radar arch. It’s insane how tight they are packed. But moreover you have residual wind blowing through dispersing fumes outside in a dock or outside winter storage and indoors there is no wind to disperse anything. Much higher risk if there is a spark. 

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Didn't think about the fume dispersal. Good point.

Used to be stored in sardine storage like you described and would have "conversations" with the owner asking him to explain how he basically gets double rent for charging for overlapping square footage from two different customers. 

The place I'm in now I have my own bay with about six feet clear on either side between boats - and it's way cheaper.