Options

Port side shore power breaker

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
2006 346, I cannot find the breaker for the shore power connections on the port side forward. I know where it is for the  transom plugs. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    There probably isn't one.  A breaker isn't required when the receptacles are within a certain distance from the breaker panel.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. I had an 06 342. Shore power breakers were behind the transom door. That was it. They auto switch from bow to stern inlets based on sensing power. Could take several seconds for them to sense power and flip themselves.  
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 not sure I follow that. My engine hatch has been removed and the transom breakers are off to prevent back feed to the disconnected wires. I'm connected to the port side and my panel is live. I thought I would ask about a breaker in case  it tripped.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    @Liberty44140 I haven't heard of auto-sensing shore power breakers on a Rinker.  Was that a user mod?  

Typically, there are Shore Choice receptacles at the transom with a manual disconnect in the cockpit.  And the forward receptacles don't need a manual disconnect because they mount them within 10 feet of the breaker panel.  
  • Options
    What prevents feed back to the forward receptacles when plugged into the transom? I noticed a relay at the back of the breaker panel in the 120V section, is that what @Liberty44140 was referring to?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    @ LR, I didn’t add it nor did the guy before me, but there were two owners before him that could have added it. IMHO it was factory though as having two sets of inputs (bow and stern) was factory and there were no spots where a manual switch would be. We liked the Rinker configuration so much that my dad had a pro add a second input added to his sailboat and we bought the auto change device and gave it to the pro to install. The delay in switching inputs is more obvious on his boat than it was on my Rinker. 

I’ll say this though, I never saw the device on the Rinker, just assumed it was there since it had two sets of inputs and no manual switch. Also a surveyor tested the system to be sure that we could not accidentally plug in two inputs and we could not. Something always blocked whichever hot cord went in second so I assumed it had to be the device. Open to being corrected :)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140, you are probably right the relays behind the breaker panel are sensing input. I would have preferred a manual selector switch or breaker, hopefully replacements are available should the relay fail. Thank you both.