Options

Anyone with Gelcoat experience?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
Not really talking about a small patch where you matched the existing color.  This is for the guys that repainted the whole boat...or at least a big chunk.  I am going to change the color of my helm. Have already pulled it, sanded and am in the process of finishing the modifications.  So in choosing the gelcoat i am going darker.  I know i have to do two coats however i am just not sure if  i need to stick with a specific brand of Gelcoat or i can look around.  I looked at the colors that Spectrum offer and they are limited.  Well that and they seem to be on the high end cost wise.  The closest i could come is to get a gallon and i likely only need a quart...maybe two.  Second goat gets a wax or finishing agent added.  That part everyone agrees on.  I have also heard some talk about using Duratec Hi Gloss Additive.   Does anyone know of any sites that rate or talk about the quality of various brands of Gelcoat?  Currently i am looking at using a brand from Fiberglass Coatings Inc. (FGCI).  I Just thought i would reach out and see if anyone had any specific words of wisdom.  That is on Gelcoat.  Not life in general.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    We do a lot of collision repairs and painting whole boats. When it comes to large areas we use Awlgrip 2 part Urethane, collision repairs that are small in area we match the gelcoat. I'm not sure of the brand I will check tomorrow. 
  • Options
    The gelcoat used in the shop is from Polynt Canada. We buy in bulk, 50 Lbs at a time. I do not see on the web if they sell in small quantities. Sorry but I don't think that helped you much
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    The gelcoat used in the shop is from Polynt Canada. We buy in bulk, 50 Lbs at a time. I do not see on the web if they sell in small quantities. Sorry but I don't think that helped you much
    Is gelcoat applied by sprayer?
  • Options
    @Handymans342 yes we apply it with a sprayer. Once the gelcoat has been mixed with a hardener and tinted to match the existing area it is then thinned with acetone for spraying. That might not be the system with retail off the shelf product. The skill is in the colour match, when the boat leaves the shop it is possible to see a slight difference but after a couple of months in the sun it all blends together. @davidbrooks will not have to worry about a colour match but might want to consider a 2 part poly-urethane paint instead. It is just as durable as gelcoat.
  • Options
    Thank you. I still havent bought it yet. The hull on the boat was painted a few years back with a super high quality paint and it looks great. A few chips and hairline cracks really bug me though. My thought was that because the console is front and center it had to be perfect.  Just thought that gelcoat would be more durable. I may have to do more research into a 2 part poly paint.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked the gelcoat genius at my marina about changing the colour of my helm and he recommended paint over gel. Where I got scared was with respect to all the hand sanding due to all the organic curves in the helm piece. Many hours of labor. 

Are you going to redesign anything? If I was to tackle this, I would eliminate the cupholders and raise the hood somewhat and make the whole thing more angular to create a big flat space for screens. I also considered trying something like this:

But I chickened out 😕
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks part poly-urethane paint is the way to go forget about gel coat
  • Options
    Any recomendations on brands of 2 part poly paint?  @YYZRC i am making some modifications.  Getting rid of cupholders seems to be sort of sacrilegious to me.  So i may not go that crazy.  I am filling in some holes, creating a built in glove box and also taking out most of the curve in the main screen area.  This involves moving the bottom of the main screen out an inch closer to the compass and then building out the upper lip. I attached a few interim pics.   The first one just shows it before a lot of work was done.  I sanded the whole thing down, attached the glove box to the back and then the next pic shows me starting to glass things in.
    You will notice a few holes filled in and a template for the main screen.  This is disposable and is there just to give me a template that the material will go against. 

Work is going slow as i didnt have the weather i was hoping for and am trying not to sand in my shop to avoid a lot of mess.

• Options
    We use Awlgrip in the shop, Imron is another brand
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    We use Awlgrip in the shop, Imron is another brand

I believe that is what @Alswagg uses as well.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Looks like Imron was purchased by Dupont.  In 2013 they formed a company called Axalta.  From what i can see a consumer cant purchase it.  I may be forced to use Awlgrip as long as i can get the color i am looking for. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool project.

B) 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
  • Options
    Thank you.  The color i am going with is Horizons Teak.  It is a deep brown.  Now just need to find a supplier.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    This is awesome!!

Also good to see you back @javhav !! What have you been working on lately? Spaceship??
  • Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC building a speakeasy lol
  • Options
    I thought i would post an update.  It has been a little slow going with the weather.  I end up just working on it on weekends as i have to get the shop heated up and by the end of the day i end up on the couch instead of getting dirty.  I have decided to get it painted by someone else.  Quotes have been all over the place anywhere from $800 to $4k.  I just need to finish up with glazing putty and some final prep and i can take it to be primed, sanded and painted.  The glazing has been kicking my butt.  I have already wasted one quart of putty and a gallon of acetone wiping it off.  First time i put it on i didn't read the directions and thought it was one part.  Nope.  Never cured.  Had to wipe it off.  So i went to WM bought "hardener" that was listed for glazing and a little blue coloring to help me make it stand out.  That didnt work either.  So now i have to wipe this coat off and try again.  I bought the cream hardener that "is supposed to come with it"  and am gonna try again. Oh one last thing.  Take your shoes off at the door.  This stuff is hard to get out of carpet and hardwood flooring when you track it inside.  
  • Options
    What paint system did you decide on?
  • Options
    I didn't.  I just picked the color from a awlgrip color chart.  I figured i would let the guy that is painting it tell me what he thought was best.  I think a lot of time they have specific brands that they are used to.  I will find out though before he starts.  The more i looked into it the more i realized how limited i was due to the fact that a lot of what i wanted just wasn't available to consumers.  After reading the safety info.  I understand why.  Last thing they want is my widow suing them after i do damage to myself cause i didn't follow proper ventilation specs.  I get enough flak just for the smell of the acetone and glazing putty.  She thinks i am getting dain bramaged.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Java is that your cabin on the boat 
  • Options
    It's the isocyanites that will damage the lungs. Our painter has to be checked annually for lung problems and he is suited up with an independant air flow.
  • Options
    How’s the progress @davidbrooks ??
  • Options
    @YYZRC i got it as close as i could and then handed it off to a painter to finish and paint. I am now at thier mercy to finish up.  This is the last pic. 
  • Options
    What color are you going with??
  • Options
    Still with the same dark brown.