Options

2014 360 EC

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
A friend on mine just recieved his brand new 2014 360EC. Holy smokes what a boat. It is a beauty to say the least. I wish him all the luck in world with it......
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    They ARE beautiful boats......I'm sure he'll love it!!!!!!!!!

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 260 EC. I am jealous. 

Just kidding ... no actually I am jealous ...

LOL!

Tell him to make sure he gets every ounce of fun out of it!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been in one, they are amazing. The cabin headroom at 6'11" makes a mockery of similar far more expensive boats. As well, I believe Al said, at one point, that he thought the 360 hull was the best one Rinker made. I have been in unsuccessful negotiations to trade my new EC 310 (40 hours on it) for an EC 360 with very, very low hours on it. Of course the 360 I am interested in has Axius. Turns out the Admiral really likes the cruising lifestyle and I (at 6'6") really like headroom and any extra cabin space I can find! Still looking. P.S. I am really interested in what Rinker is going to come up with to replace the EC 400. I have heard runours that it is a radical change. I can hardly wait to see what they come up with if the 290 and 310 are indications of what they can do. MT
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

what?

no pics?

:)]

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    It not at my club but I will try to get some pic's to post.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    ???????????????
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    RinkerYan said:
    How can anyone buy a new boat and loose 40% right out of the marina? :)

Who says its 40%? We bought new because we wanted peace of mind and the used 276's were not much cheaper at all compared to the deal we got new.

Its not for everyone, but if NOONE bought new there would be no more used boats, after awhile.

And in my opinion if you buy something (whether it be a boat, car, house, electronics), you should buy it for yourself to enjoy & use. Who cares what someone else thinks its worth?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    RinkerYan, normally you'd be correct in that it would be financially insane to trade a new boat. Here's how it would work in my case. The EC 360 with 8.2 liter engines that I am looking at is in a much harder "size class" of boats to sell that the EC 310. The costs of maintaining, docking, storing and gassing-up an EC 360 are far higher than an EC 310. So, again, the 310s sell much faster, where I live, than the EC 360s - and -  all marine dealers know that very well. So any dealer who took my trade would get rid of his 360 and get my 310 which would be far easier to "move". Any EC 360 that I would consider trading my new EC 310 for would have to be used but in super great shape with low hours - just like mine. Therefore, I would be trading in my almost new EC 310 on an almost new EC 360. Because it would be a trade I'd only pay our sales tax of 13% (yeah 13%!!!!!) on the difference in cost between the two boats. I have found two potential boats. Because I love my EC 310 I'm in no rush to trade - only if the deal is real good. When we bought the EC 310 I didn't know if I'd like the cruising "lifestyle" so I wanted to buy a boat in a class size (EC 310) with options that were the most attractive in case I decided to "bail" on cruising. The Admiral, as a former sailor loves cruising so that's not the issue. I found out that I really lke cruising but because of my size would like a bigger boat as long as the options and of course Axius were on it. Sooo - maybe not quite as crazy as it might seem at first?  MT .  
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone should be boating if they don't have money to spare sort to speak.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hey RinkerYan, here's a couple of reasons. First, Options you want that are not available on used boats in the model or brand you want. For example - a generator, AC/heat, Axius, Bow thruster, etc. Second, you can find deals at boat shows, if you have a decent trade it can make a new boat cheaper than a used one. I have twice traded boats in on new ones. The trade, taxes saved and incentives on the new boats worked out cheaper than buying a used boat unless it was a really, really used boat. Just saying, new isn't always a dumb idea. MT
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I think this could go on & on forever.  I see reasons for either side.  I'd certainly never tell someone that is was a bad move to buy new.  I'd also never tell someone that they should only look at used.  Now, for myself, I could never justify, even if I was rich, buying new.  I'm also a person that doesn't like payments, be it house or boat.  So, new would be a bit tough.  But, I don't mind having to tinker with my Rinker. :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream Inn has it right. The answer is 'it depends'!

I bought new but only because I got an amazing deal at a boat show. A company was about to be bought out and wanted to liquidate their stock. I ended up paying $30k below retail on my 260 EC. They also gave me a great trade in on my Tahoe Q5, around $23k with about 150 hours on it. I save taxes on the trade too. I don't think I could have ended up near the cost of a similar used boat, it was way better to take the new boat.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Just to throw another cookie in the churn, I will give the logic for the Salt Shaker.  I came from a boating family so I had lots of boating in my youth but none after that.  I always expected that I would have a boat someday.  But that someday came kinda late in the game.  When I was able to be serious about becoming a boater I knew I should get something that I would enjoy, not "too big," not "too small," but something "just right."

I got interested in Rinker as a brand because of an article in one of the boating magazines that was a review of the then new 340.  My first interest was in the 320 and I sent my admiral to the local Rinker dealer located in Bradenton to take a look.  A very poor salesman on the lot pointed to a 320 and told her to go have a look.  She liked it very much but she was picturing a larger galley, one with a holder for the salt and pepper shakers.  To which I said, it is obvious, we have to "go up a size."  We started talking to their other salesman about boats in general and one day he gave me a deal I could not refuse for one of the new '06 342's on their lot.  I think this salesman could sense we really liked the 342.

Prior to all this, I had a test ride aboard a 320 on Lake Lanier so I had reason at that time to favor the 320.

I told the salesman I would purchase the boat if he could get financing.  I really thought that would be the end of it.  But a couple of days later he called me and said he had financing.  This was in the days of easy financing with the "liars loans" and all of that.  We filled a 2 page application out, just the three of us, in our kitchen.  It could have been a "liars loan" as they were called at the time, we could put anything down we wanted, no proof of anything was required.  Much to my surprise, the loan was approved so I was a new boat owner.

So we now had a new boat, one that was not "too little," not "too big" but just right.  We have had her for 7 years now, this is my first and I expect my last boat so I have spared no effort to make her all she can be and we use her at all opportunities.  Any shortcomings (very few) we found, we designed a solution for.  New for us was good because of the warrantee, which we did use a fair amount and given that I was a real newbee in the boating world I did not feel that I had the experience to evaluate "used."

As a first and only boat, it is perfect for us.  The times we have aboard are phenomenal!

BTW, the name Salt Shaker came from my admiral's observation that this boat had a set of slots for a salt and pepper shaker which was one of our reasons for "going up a size."

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I should add that one of the few shortcomings was the Volvo XDP out drives.  The solution we designed for this shortcoming after dealing with these lemon drives for 7 years was to replace them with the Ocean X drives.  Now she is the perfect boat.

Tony

• Options
    .....and that's why new can really work! MT
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    If I could swing the payment I think I'd
    Buy new
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    OK time to chime in. There are pro's and con's to both. Why buy someone else headache??? Why spend all that money on new???? What it boils down to is your personal preffrance and what you really want. I would love to buy my friends 2014 boat but a $400.00 a week child support check makes that impossible. So my 2002 will have to do.........
  • Options

Raybo - and there's probably nothing wrong with your 2002!

Agreed it comes down to personal preference ... but also opportunity (like in my case).

That's why it is a good idea to investigate A LOT before making a decision.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    new comes with a warranty and expectation of serviceable condition- which does you no good if it's dead in the water....

old comes with an expectation of wear, and need to replace consumable parts and pieces.. which does you no good if a part gives while underway..

there can be just as many problems with a new rig as there are with an older rig- and it comes down to how much respect the owner has for it... old, for instance, on a well maintained and serviced rig to me means "all the bugs have been worked out, and problems at least identified" ... new has the expectation of being serviceable without much effort, but that has burned people before, and will again..

it straight up comes down to how inclined a person is to maintain something.. used doesn't mean abused always.. it sometimes does, though..

yesterday, I put a new starter slave solenoid on my floater... I was just about to buy and install a new starter, when I realized the soft click was on top of the engine, and the starter wasn't struggling in the least when it -did- engage... I forgot all about older engines (automotive; the slave fell out of favor in the late seventies, apparently they are still in favor in the marine world in 2006) having slave solenoids all together.. that is a solid state device... it could just have easily failed on a new rig as it did on an old.. I read about sensors failing right here on this forum all the time, and given the bathtub graph of failure on such items, it could happen just as easily on a new as an old rig.. (bath graph follows the contour of a basin, meaning a high rate of failure in the beginning, and a high rate at the end, but a flat line, pretty much, through the center)..

the crux is identifying, in my humble opinion, the points of failure and/or concern for whatever rig you have... knowing what to do to -prevent- those failures, and respecting the rig by performing preventive maintenance and care..........

personally, I prefer old rigs that have been well cared for, or can be recovered, as it appeals to my nature to combat the 'use it and toss it' mentality we've been manipulated by marketers into accepting..

when I was in the middle east, I dated a Slovakian gal who was finer than frog hair.. we were talking one eve about hobbies, and I mentioned my step mother collected antiques.. turns out her family did, too.. She asked how old the oldest piece my family had was, and I responded "likely 300 years', which would be a chest they had restored.. she thought that the height of hilarity- she said there is nothing that new in her house at home at all- and that they wouldn't consider it an antique unless it was nearing 500 years... !@##^!%#- 500 floggin' years??? &^%&*!!!! .... they take care of their stuff, because a replacement is not around the corner even if they had the ability to plop cash on it at will... so, they take care of it..

I find I respect folks who take care of their stuff much easier than those who don't- new or used.. I also find you can tell a lot about the depth of a persons character by looking at how they maintain their stuff, too..

and one more thing about new: newer engines have the ability to 'cover' issues much longer than older engines- the nature of having a computer controlled engine not only adapts it better to environmental conditions, hence better performance and economy, but using that same mechanism, it can cover a faulty situation- until it can't- and you are dead in the water when that happens... resolve?: preventive maintenance, no matter how new..
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of a ford vs Chevy
    Argument. To each their own
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

When my wife and I purchase our boat I had little knowledge of boats.  I wanted to buy new, but didn’t like the price tag.   We stumbled across one that was only used one season and had 27 hours on the engine.  It sat out for 2 years, and before it was going to be stored for a third season the owner was motivated to sell.   The offer went back and forth, only twice, and an agreement was made with the selling broker, that being, that the broker would store for the winter season, deliver in the spring and would extend the warranty “bumper to bumper” for an additional 2 years.  A savings of about 40% the original price the previous owner paid for the boat.

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I think we got the best of both worlds. We bought our "new" 2008 246 in 2009 because it was still on the lot. Dealer was very motivated. Got all the add ons we wanted at about 40% off the list price. We are now currently looking at used cruisers simply because we can't afford new. Now comes the hard part of finding someone who took care of their cruiser as well as we have our cuddy. Again it all depends on your particular situation.

• Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

"tinker with my rinker"

hahahaha...that's good...

:))

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    vquad said:

"tinker with my rinker"

hahahaha...that's good...

:))
    yeah, that's my favorite saying!

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    Yes, by all means take a look at my 2003 342, price reduced to just $65K!   ;-D

I bought her brand-new in 2003.  It was a wonderful experience - the shine, the new-boat smell, warranty and everything else that goes with buying new.  But now I'm buying my next boat, and guess what - it's not new.  

Why?  After ten years in a Rinker, we knew we wanted another Rinker, but the 360 turned out to be not quite enough boat for us.  If Rinker was still building 370s, it would have been mighty tempting.  However, now that the 360 is top dog in the Rinker family, we went to the used market.   

Maybe our next boat will be a new 2018 Rinker 380!  
  • Options
    Don't give up yet LaRea, I hear that Rinker has a big reveal coming-up to replace the discontinued EC 400! Hang onto that cash just in case! MT
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Larea, I actually showed the admiral your boat and said "what a deal" but still outside the price range for us,  If I could I would sail her home tomorrow.  I hope to find a boat like yours in our price range.  I kick myself quite often now a days for not picking a different career choice .  However we are looking for a 270 - 280 cruiser a little older than our cuddy so that we can basically just exchange keys and keep the same payment.  We definitely want a Rinker though.

• Options
    rblickenrblicken Member Posts: 1

I just took delivery (July 2013) of a 2014 EC260 - put 20 hours on her in the first 2 weeks, had her serviced and we are up to 30 hrs. already. We love this boat, we get asked all the time about her. She’s sleek, all white with blue camper package. We keep her on a lift in our back  yard canal but recently took her to a resort marina for a weekend and we were the boat everyone admired!!!!! There were 80-100’ers in nearby slips but everyone wanted to complement our Rinker yacht!!! We love her; she’s fast, sturdy, well-built and an eye catcher!!!

• Options

rblicken, congrats on your new purchase!  Enjoy the ride and welcome to the site!

• Options
    MooseLandingMarinaMooseLandingMarina Member Posts: 5
    Raybo, 

Guessing your talking about Tony! The black 360 Rinker we delivered the boat to him this summer. The boat is gorgeous. We wish him the best of luck. He's a real class act to do business with! 

Moose Landing Marina