Options

What do you recommend for bottom and outdrive paint?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
Just looking ahead for a few months from now when I’m going to paint the bottom and outdrive on my FV 270 again. I’ve tried a number of different things over the years, but looking for suggestions on what is the best. I know there are some non-copper paints that you can use on both the fiberglass and the outdrive and I would be convenient, but I’m not necessarily committed to that. It currently has a copper based paint on the bottom and I sprayed the out drive. Looking to buy the paint soon. What are you using? 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find out what your local marina is using in your boating area
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    For the fresh water of the upper Potomac, where the major culprit is moss (not barnacles):

On the B3 outdrives, Primocon and Trilux.  I recoat every spring.

On the hull, Micron CSC.  However, I think they must have changed the formulation over the past few years.  I used to go four years before recoating.  Now I'm getting only two years before I have to get a mid-season hull cleaning.  
  • Options
    I should’ve had I am in salt water
  • Options
    Good suggestion Handy, I’ll ask my marina. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I'm pretty close to you and have had good luck with Interlux ACT, when the boat comes out in the fall it is pretty clean.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats because it was a Rinker
  • Options
    I’ll google Interlux ACT, thanks 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VC-17 if in fresh water. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I’m in salt water. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe it, but with the sea core drive and NO paint...as in I didn't do anything to it, the drive barely has any growth on it after 4 weeks of sitting in the water. I do go down with a sponge once a month and wipe it down, but there's so little growth on it... could just be the water here as well. We're in the upper 60's as far as the water temp goes and nothing is growing on the bottom paint either. 
  • Options
    There are a few boats in my Marina that did not have their drives painted and they look terrible loaded with barnacles
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    TRILUX 33 for out drives- use the PRIMOCON first then two cans of Trilux 33- then every year after you just need 1 can of Trilux 33 to touch up. Takes 2 minutes to spray the outdrive. You will wonder why didn’t I do it earlier. Search my previous threads I have several pictures 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, I had great success with trilux 33 on my bravo 3. One can per drive was more than enough and super easy to spray. I could do a light coat with one can for two drives. No growth, no corrosion. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    For the sections that have pitted corrosion, scrape down to bare shiny metal, then give them extra attention when priming and painting.  On my boat, it's usually the leading and trailing edges.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you sand any bottom paint make sure to use a respirator type mask. Once you inhale that type dust it is in your lungs for ever. But it's a boat what could possibly go wrong.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you slipped or dry?  If you are wet slipped you want a different paint than on a trailer or bunks.  If you are not wet slipped I would keep gel coat if that is an option.  You know what they say about bottom paint...once you go painted you don't go back. 

I really hate that my 2859 has bottom paint.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭
    Handy had some good advice. You are good to see what works in your area. I really liked the Micron CSC and Trilux 33. CSC is an ablative so you have to use the boat to keep it clean. Even using it i would find the need to run a scraper over the bottom each summer. That is here in the Chesapeake.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be careful connecting the bottom paint and drive ... if there's any conductor in that bottom paint (like copper, or anything else) ... I think it voids the drive warranty, and even if you have a drive out of warranty, you should be weary of why it voids the warranty ... I think the stray current pick up could overload mercathode ... and cause drive corrosion ...

I would keep the bottom paint 1" to 2" away from touching the drive, just to be 100% sure.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I am in a wet slip for about 5 1/2 months annually. I did reach out to my Marina as suggested and they said they use Interlux Pacifica plus on the bottom and Trilux 33 on the outdrives. I am probably going to go that route, thanks for all the help.