Options

Cockpit refrigerator re-purpose?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
As you can see in the lower right of this picture, the cockpit refrigerator is broken. However, it has always been useless as it’s too small. Have anyone repurposed this area so that it is a space to fit a cooler?

thanks!
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @MiamiAG you want to replace a fridge with a cooler??? My fridge is ice cold and I load it with beverages. Plenty of room and dont have to worry about ice. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I built a cabinet to replace my ice maker. You could just build a starboard box in place of the fridge. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    @MiamiAG you want to replace a fridge with a cooler??? My fridge is ice cold and I load it with beverages. Plenty of room and dont have to worry about ice. 
    Raybo3, yes. I have a fridge in the cabin that has some of our drinks. The outside fridge was never used because a cooler was typically the place were we had the barbecue meet and other items that simply wouldn't fit in the fridge.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I built a cabinet to replace my ice maker. You could just build a starboard box in place of the fridge. 
    Hmm, that's an idea. Did you frame the outside to make it neat? I haven't worked with starboard. How did you secure the corners?
  • Options
    I ran the 3/8” side panels long and made a corner out of 3/4”. The door is from boatoutfitters.com

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,541 mod
    Working with Starboard is as easy as working with wood, except you can't use glue or nails -- only screws.  For cut edges that are exposed, there are techniques to give them the same pebbled finish as the face surfaces.
  • Options
    MiamiAG said:
    raybo3 said:
    Raybo3, yes. I have a fridge in the cabin that has some of our drinks. The outside fridge was never used because a cooler was typically the place were we had the barbecue meet and other items that simply wouldn't fit in the fridge.
    It's funny how people use "things" so differently. I put the drinks in the cockpit fridge because I don't want everyone going in and out of my cabin especially while I am underway. I put the food in the cabin fridge as that is larger. However I do not BBQ on my boat. Never have and never will. We prepare food at home or take boat to a restaurant. ......... Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    raybo3 said:
    MiamiAG said:
    raybo3 said:
    It's funny how people use "things" so differently. I put the drinks in the cockpit fridge because I don't want everyone going in and out of my cabin especially while I am underway. I put the food in the cabin fridge as that is larger. However I do not BBQ on my boat. Never have and never will. We prepare food at home or take boat to a restaurant. ......... Just say'n 
    You are so right.  I love to bbq on my boat.  I do agree, all drinks up top, food below.  I'll say, we've always had enough room down below for food, even 10 days of food!  And that's with two older kids.👍 We do use a cooler as well for the extended trips because I take gallons of Mai Tai and 1 gallon of rum punch.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Took our cockpit fridge out this spring, we never used it. Boat is rack stored - not plugged into shorepower.
    Lucked out, it was a finished cabinet. Put some non skid flooring in there. Perfect for cooler, garbage can, etc.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    If you do remove the fridge, bet you could have a swinging door installed over the opening. Stainless piano hinge on one side & latch on the other.
    boatoutfitters.com.
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    MiamiAG said:
    raybo3 said:
    Yup. We use the ice for drinks so I need to take ice in a cooler. It's amazing how much my family and friends use the ice during a day out at the sandbar. For us, and I think many by the number of BBQs out on sandbars, it's a tradition to cook sausages and burgers at the sandbar. Not sure if people just enjoy it, or all that BBQ smell, but it's a thing down here, at least with my crew.

Another thing is space. I have a 290ec and the cockpit area isn't large. I always have to put the cooler on the back seat and it just takes a lot of space there.
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn...... lol too funny Mai Tai mix. You and your Mai Tai's. I bought a mix from my favorite Chinees restaurant and I love my watermelon Tai's. On my  342 I store most of my "beverages"  in the cabinet under the galley sink and V-berth. 
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    MiamiAG, in my opinion if it holds only one beer and keeps it cold then it's doing it's job. 
  • Options
    goalie59 said:
    MiamiAG, in my opinion if it holds only one beer and keeps it cold then it's doing it's job. 
    That's a bit of the point. It's broken at the moment and the question is whether to replace it or take the opportunity to repurpose.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my cockpit fridge. I keep adult beverages in it along with dogs and brats in the freezer for easy access. I can't imagine not having one.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Where do you guys keep your ice for the drinks?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MiamiAG said:
    raybo3 said:
    If ever you do a longer trip (overnight) that second fridge will come in handy, to store perishables, while the other has drinks. Even if it is for the next owner ... think resale. I definitely would rather have a fridge there. Easy to replace (if you have $$).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I just ordered a replacement CRX-65 for my boat. Agreed with @MarkB - very useful for weekend trips plus resale. 
  • Options
    mattie said:
    Took our cockpit fridge out this spring, we never used it. Boat is rack stored - not plugged into shorepower.
    Lucked out, it was a finished cabinet. Put some non skid flooring in there. Perfect for cooler, garbage can, etc.

This pic perfectly illustrates why Rinker are priced well below competitors. Four Winns does a completely clean and gel coated cabinet including nicely mounted electrical. Rinker cuts a jagged hole and throws in a fridge. 
  • Options
    YYZ: Yaa, I was impressed. 
    Before I yanked the fridge - I figured I'd be fabbing up some sort of shelving or base flooring. No need.

On the Rinker side - I do miss the long/deep garbage cans tho.

We don't overnight on our boat. Just a sweet dayboat. Sun, sand, tunes, swimming & refreshments.
    Use those really nice Igloo Marine Extreme softside coolers for food & drinks. One good hardside cooler for ice. Never have we run out of ice or drinks.

• Options
    You guys are killing me. Looks like I'm telling the Admiral we're getting a new cockpit fridge!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MiamiAG , how’s the hard top project going? I tried looking for the thread but I can’t find it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @MiamiAG , how’s the hard top project going? I tried looking for the thread but I can’t find it.
    Sorry, wasn't my project. Have never looked for a hard top.
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    @aero3113 that was @oscar1 who was doing hard top I believe
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You right @Pat310 !! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We love our cruisers 390 but the single biggest thing we miss from our Rinker 342 is the cockpit fridge. We have the ice maker outside but no fridge and we can’t live without the ice maker since having that on the 342. Trying to figure out a place to add a fridge in the 390 cockpit. Having a cooler going outside all weekend works ok, but having a fridge is true my glorious. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lib, get a 110 volt cooler or a 12 volt cooler
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    I left one of those plugged into my suv one time overnight. Woke up to a dead battery.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!