Options

Proposed Changes to Canadian Pleasure Craft Licensing

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in General Boating Discussions
Attention all Canadian Boat Owners and Pleasure Craft License holders. The Federal government has introduced proposed legislation changes that will eliminate the lifetime Pleasure Craft License that is required to operate a power boat in Canada and is replacing it with a new version that is only good for 5 years and will require a new $15 licensing fee. Details here: https://letstalktransportation.ca/pcl
This was done very quietly and with a very short timeline for comment which is now closed. This after we were all promised that there would never be a fee charged for PCL or that the lifetime versions would ever expire.
BULLSHlT!!!!
Contact your local Federal MP to let them know you do not agree with this blatant tax grab.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Got the link from the latest issue of Canadian Yachting magazine in the Canadian Power Squadron newsletter section. So as much as the link is not a direct government source, it is valid information I believe. Have also seen it on other boating information sources.
    Either way it's CR@P!
  • Options
    In fairness, the PCL process is a farce.  I'm in favor of a $3/year fee if there is a real test administered to mitigate the number of jokers on the lake.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    In fairness, the PCL process is a farce.  I'm in favor of a $3/year fee if there is a real test administered to mitigate the number of jokers on the lake.
    Perhaps. I was approaching it from the angle that when the PCL was initially put into place years ago it was promised no fees and no expiration. But governments change of course, and this one is taxing and spending us to death.
    Politics aside, what I would support is not only tougher testing, but mandatory PCL for rental boats also. It's a joke right now. You can't rent a car without a valid driver's license but you can rent any boat with a fat enough wallet and answer 5 questions on a sign off.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Good reading,

Well simple math tells you the gov't will get an extra $1.5M a year on the 100K new issues each year. Not to mention the one time balloon payment for us having to renew.

I would agree tho - we need some sort of control over pleasure craft licenses. Boating has changed the last couple decades. There are so many boaters on the water now. I saw a record number of **** mistakes on the water this past season. Scary really.

The SeaDoo contingent is over the top. Missiles with no brains.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Politics aside, what I would support is not only tougher testing, but mandatory PCL for rental boats also. It's a joke right now. You can't rent a car without a valid driver's license but you can rent any boat with a fat enough wallet and answer 5 questions on a sign off.
    mattie said:
    I would agree tho - we need some sort of control over pleasure craft licenses. Boating has changed the last couple decades. There are so many boaters on the water now. I saw a record number of **** mistakes on the water this past season. Scary really.

The SeaDoo contingent is over the top. Missiles with no brains.
    Totally agree. It would slow the rental market but perhaps that’s not a bad thing overall. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    $15 every 5th year isn't much of a tax grab.  If the US ever decides to require boating licenses, we'll show you Canadians how to conduct a proper tax grab!   :D
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we pay $15 every two years for our registration. I am seriously surprised they haven't tried upping it.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    About $90 in NY for mine for 2 years, 11 months.

No, I don’t get the 35 months either.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    If I could trust that the money was going to be used for something supporting boat industry that would be fine, but our current collection of idiots is more worried about sending our tax dollars to support other countries
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

current collection of idiots 

I have not experienced much of them in FL. But in the summer at home. Woof, defencive driving is mandatory. Keep your head on a swivel. Wish we had a boating course requirement. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    @skuter99 would be very happy to exchange an equal amount of our idiots for your idiots.  

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Car: drivers training and license
    Motorcycle: drivers training and license
    Plane: pilot training and license
    Recreational boating: have a great day. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    $15 every 5th year isn't much of a tax grab.  If the US ever decides to require boating licenses, we'll show you Canadians how to conduct a proper tax grab!   :D
    When you guys start paying 52% income tax brackets ... let's talk.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Is there any grandfathering of existing license owners?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    Is there any grandfathering of existing license owners?
    No. That's what has me P.O.'d
    When my license was issued it had no expiration date and no license fee. That is what is changing. Existing license holders won't have to re-test but will have to renew every 5 years and pay whatever fee applicable at that time.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    My license has no expiry date and no one has ever asked to see it see it since 2005. If and when someone asks to see it and says it should have been renewed I will plead ignorance and say no one ever notified me, just saying 🙄
  • Options
    Grahamu said:
    My license has no expiry date and no one has ever asked to see it see it since 2005. If and when someone asks to see it and says it should have been renewed I will plead ignorance and say no one ever notified me, just saying 🙄
    Let us know how that works out for you ...

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    LaRea said:
    When you guys start paying 52% income tax brackets ... let's talk.
    Actually 53%

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but this applies to vessel licensing only, NOT operator licensing.  This has to do with paying for your vessel registration numbers, NOT your pleasure craft operator's license (Boating card).  Or am I missing something?

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Ofergadsakes. MVN think you're right.

Looks like this pertains to vessel licensing.
  • Options
    phewww!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mea Culpa. Sorry, my mistake. I guess goes hand in hand with the new laws regarding boat owners being responsible for proper disposal. They want up to date registrations to track ownership.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Willhound said:
    Mea Culpa. Sorry, my mistake. I guess goes hand in hand with the new laws regarding boat owners being responsible for proper disposal. They want up to date registrations to track ownership.
    Good catch though....I did not realize this was going on.  Wait until the province starts charging annual licensing fees for trailers, atv's, etc.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    I got a buddy of mine with a Scarab 'Go Fast' he bought a few years ago from another fella locally. Private deal - he never registered the sale.

He never transferred the boat ownership cause he didn't want to pay the sales tax on the purchase.

Still in the previous owners name - as far as I know. No liability there......OMG.

I know the peeps on both sides of the deal. Pretty sketchy bunch. Fun to drink beers with tho. Not sure if they are actually devious or just lazy.

• Options
    Not sure how they'd get insurance without a registration. Registration is Federal and no HST on used boats. Provincial tax but the Fed's and Provinces don't communicate well so could go years and not pay tax.