Make of stereo

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
I have a 2006 342 and wondering what the original stereo brand was installed. Presently a Kenwood KMR M325BT is installed. Everything works well except the 2 remotes in the cockpit, they have power as they are lit up, but none of the functions work. Also are all the connections behind the stereo or at rhe amps.

Best Answer

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I upgraded my Clarion which rendered my old remotes useless. I also use bluetooth on my phone for music so needing the remotes isn't really necessary. They do make an RF remote for the Clarion which is nice as you can keep it anywhere and use in addition to your phone. I did acquire 1 new wired remote I will install at the helm just to fill the old one and make it useable. 

Here is the link to the remote, cheaper and easier to deal with than replacing the wired remotes. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020MF1/Clarion-MF1.html
    1997 Bayliner 3988

Answers

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    My 2006 342 had a Clarion stereo and it was definitely OEM. Both outdoor remotes worked well although the screens were hard to see. Two amps under the V birth also Clarion. Believe the head unit was a M455 model. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Clarion on my 280. What brand are your remotes as they should match the original stereo? I think the best option for replacement now would be wireless remotes. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    OK thanks, Clarion was a popular brand, my remotes have no brand name on them. Does the remote wiring connect to the stereo unit or the amps? Interesting about the wireless remotes, are they Bluetooth?
    Remotes connect to the head unit and I think the wireless ones are bluetooth or possibly RF. Do your remotes look something like this?

1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura, yes they do. I did not notice Clarion on the bottom. Bluetooth remote maybe a problem as I connect my phone or tablet for some music choices by bluetooth.
    @Aqua_Aura, I accepted your answer and it disappeared. Thank you and I went on that site and they do have a wired remote for the Kenwood. I will buy one install at the helm and leave the one at the transom door alone, thanks again
    Oops I guess I didn't see that you installed a Kenwood so I guess my answer that disappeared wasn't very useful for that anyway ☺️. The one at the helm is nice to have. I plan on removing the one at my transom door and adding a downward shining light, probably many options of other things to replace the hole with. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It did not disappear it went to the top, because now he is #1
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My original clarion remotes were wired. I don’t know where they plugged in, sorry. Those wireless rf remotes are pretty cool! I have a 2012ish clarion on my current boat with a wired remote at the helm but nothing in the rear. May look at adding one of those wireless remotes. Thanks
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

It did not disappear it went to the top, because now he is #1
    Oh wow look at that..all the way to the top momma would be so proud of me. I don't think I've had an accepted answer now I feel like there is so much pressure on me. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    @Aqua_Aura Didn't mean to do that to you, You will have to add "Under Pressure" to your playlist
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    For wired remotes there's a remote wire coming out the head unit harness...or it could be a separate plug in the back of the head unit.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @skennelly, yes I now have the head unit out after sorting out the rats nest behind it. There is a plug and a single wire connection. I've ordered the single wire remote and hope to use the existing wires. The remote with a plug connection has a short cable which would not reach the head.