Options

Engine Exhaust coming into the back of the boat

When the engines are started up to run them , I been getting engine exhaust flumes back into the back. It seems to stay trap under the swim platform and doesn’t seems vent out enough except when you are driving it. To me it seems that the swim platform vents should be in the back /middle areas instead of being install in the front areas where it can be vented into the cabin area. Boat is a 2003 Rinker Festa Vee 310

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Have the same vessel and don’t have that issue unless the breeze is coming from the stern direction, even then it’s rare.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    smparr01smparr01 Member Posts: 9
    When the camper enclosure is up and the breeze came from the stern direction it comes in through the opening of the fenders . Do you have any problem with the enclosure up that exhaust flumes come into the cabin . We are going to have New Canvas made with larger vent opening. Our old boat a Sea Ray 25 DA Sorrento had the exhaust going out the sides. We just bought this boat last year and love how wide it is . 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    It sounds like you may be getting the "station wagon effect" while running the boat. This happens under way where the exhaust is sucked in to the cockpit of the boat. This will only happen if you have all of your canvas up except the rear piece. You either need to open up the front so that air comes through, or remove all of the side pieces aft of the arch. We learned this the hard way too on our 342 (310 had no CO detector so we didn't know) as the CO detector would keep going off under way..... we only had the aft piece out, everything else in. So we would generally only run with the sides aft of the arch out and the aft curtain out. Problem solved. Bad days, everything was closed up. Again, rolling up the front middle eisenglass will help a lot so there is flow out the back. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    We mostly notice this when we are setting in our cover slip this winter with all the canvas up. We be running our engines every 2 weeks, and we have the CO detector located under the aft cabin. I thinking the flumes are coming in under the canvas . We open up the front and the back to get more air flow and I sure that when the wind is shifting around that it comes into the cockpit and then down into the cabin. This will be a problem when you are out in the rain, we are hoping to solve this problem when we get new canvas to block the fender openings we hope.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are just sitting at the dock with the engine running are you also running your blower? If not, you should.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I'm not surprised it's happening when you are in a covered slip.  When you are underway or anchored, it'll be fine.  It's good that you are running the engine every couple weeks, but continue to be careful when you do it.
  • Options
    We been boating for over 20 plus years the blower always comes on first and is turn off 10 min. After we turn off the engine.I’m not surprised about the covered slip effect that probably is the answer 
  • Options
    Thanks for the help