Options

Well it's been a while since a problem- where do you start when charging is an issue?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in General Boating Discussions
Just bought new batteries.. after a week or two bank #2 was dead after a week straight of "charging"

At the moment bank 2 will not start the boat, it will run the radio, fridge, etc... yet the battery charger has a fast blinking green light and reads 0.

At this point bank 1 will start the boat... but that is the starting battery so it never gets tapped for lights/fridge, etc.. 

I've got another charger and will use it if needed, could it be the isolator that it looks like the charger is hooked to? Just not sure why 2 group 31 batteries tied together wont start the motor, yet the charger seems to think they are fully charged.  

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the output on the charger. If batteries are new I'd suspect the old charger.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand what you're saying, something is draining that bank.  Any chance the bilge pumps are linked to that bank and a sticky float or excess rain water killed them?  A parasitic draw can kill a battery over a night if bad enough. 

Id pull batteries out of the boat and charge both individually then load test each.  Once you know they are charged and check out ok then test your charger.  I've had new batteries fail quickly with no warning and despite reading full on a charger they failed load tests. 

To test for parasitic draw disconnect neg battery cable and run multi meter from cable to neg battery terminal. Look for about a max of 50 milliamp.  If you have more pull all fuses one at a time looking for amps to drop.  If it died while battery switch is off then start with items that have constant draw. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Replace the charger.  Those Inteli-Power chargers seem to have a service life of 10-12 years.  Your boat is, what -- 16 years old?  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volt meter to the battery,  turn charger on volt doesn't move, change charger. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how old your charger is not am i familiar with the brand but some wont charge unless the battery has x amount of voltage.  Same with some jumper boxes, they need to sense a minimum voltage to turn on.