Options

Volvo 5.7 Hydrolock investigation

cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
Hi All,
Will be working with my mechanic to determine cause of a hydrolock, but want to educate myself so I'm informed on what the recommended solution might be.
I've read the various posts here regarding hydrolocked engines and want to make sure I have it right!

The boat is a 2005 270 with a Penta 5.7 engine. It's been great all these years (I'm original owner). However, at the end of last season, I wasn't able to start the boat. Initially, thought it was the starter, so had that replaced. Boat started fine a few times, but then again died and wouldn't start. That basically put the end to my season (good thing it was end of Sept and only a couple weeks before haul out). We decided to get it out and get it winterized before the cold and low temps came (We're in the northeast)

So here's what the mechanic said:
It has water in cylinder 8
When he winterized it, he said he thought the oil was somewhat milky

He had removed the plugs and cleared out water, and I was able to get it to the lift. He had done this once before and the boat sat at the dock for a few days before I could haul it out. During that time, water seemed to seep into the cylinder again, and he had to go through the same process to get it started. 

PS. I had the manifolds, risers and the Y-pipe replaced about 4 yrs ago, so those were fairly new and look in good condition. 

From what I learned here, a common cause is coming off plane too fast, but generally I don't do this and if the water was cleared, then the boat sat at the dock, I shouldn't have had water back in the cylinder correct?

I'll be speaking to my mechanic soon, and think that the order of things should be to check the riser, check the manifolds, all gaskets, and finally the block itself for possible cracks? Also, I assume we should start with a compression test?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue over the summer. I replaced my manifolds, risers and elbows. All was good after that. Also have them check if your exhaust flappers are installed and working properly.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are fresh water cooled you can pressure test the antifreeze side. Compression test is 1st and this help to see if you pump water out of #8. Good luck.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    cassiolacassiola Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Thanks! yes it's a closed cooling system so I'll mention the compression test there.

Hopefully the block is OK and it'll come down to one of manifolds, risers or elbows...