260 EC - cockpit / tonneau cover

Anyone out there have a cockpit / tonneau cover on a 260 EC? 

We purchased the boat last fall and it doesn't have one. Was thinking about getting one made.

I have seen pics where the cover goes over the windshield, and I was wondering how hard that is to do the snaps up? Are the snaps all the way down the front of the windshield?

I would like the cover to go over the windshield to help keep sun out.

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @boattech01 I believe sells covers here, for amazing prices. I've used him in the past.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• randallh82w8randallh82w8 Member Posts: 33
    MarkB said:
    @boattech01 I believe sells covers here, for amazing prices. I've used him in the past.
    Thanks - I am not looking for where to buy, just looking for advice / experience of having the cover over the windshield!
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    The cover goes over the window and it is not hard to snap in place. Just do the center snaps first then outward and then roll the cover back and attach the bungee clips. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 280 and I use my cockpit cover all the time. It is easy to access the snaps over the windshield. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Awesome - thanks for the advice, everyone. Just wanted to make sure people who had them weren't cursing them! lol
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @coverguy2 is another great source 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    I have a 280 and I use my cockpit cover all the time. It is easy to access the snaps over the windshield. 
    Thanks! 

I have another question for you actually - I saw in my research that you have some experience with replacing your stereo and remote unit? y stereo apparently just stopped working at the end of the season last year (right after we bought the boat, of course). The marina has the boat in right now for some service and they say all the wiring is fine, and likely the head unit is just dead. 

Seems like it's pretty easy to replace the head unit. Problem is using the existing OEM wired remote at the helm - which I would like to keep. Any advice? 

I have called a stereo dealer, and they have guided me to a new head unit (Clarion M508), but it's not compatible with the remote unit. I sense some wire fishing in the spring....
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded to the 508 from the old version and I had to buy a new wired remote and still have yet to run the new cable.

Cable guy did it by removing the cabinet in the lavatory to access the cable at mid point and fish it to the helm and stereo. 

You can get adapters and use the old remotes but the screens won't be lit and good luck finding the adaptors. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replace my stereo and all of the remotes. The Clarion dealer is correct, the new head units are not compatible with the old remotes. You have two options, pull new remotes lines through the boat or use the existing lines with adapter wires on each end. If you go with the adapter wires, you lose the display function on the remotes. Pulling new lines wasn't all that bad. If you have a speaker next to the drivers seat, you can pull that and it will give you access to pull new lines. In the cabinet in the cabin that houses the stereo, there should be a panel that is removable, open that up and you will gain access to all of the wiring that goes to the helm station. I used a fiberglass fish tape to go from the engine room to the stereo location.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    I replace my stereo and all of the remotes. The Clarion dealer is correct, the new head units are not compatible with the old remotes. You have two options, pull new remotes lines through the boat or use the existing lines with adapter wires on each end. If you go with the adapter wires, you lose the display function on the remotes. Pulling new lines wasn't all that bad. If you have a speaker next to the drivers seat, you can pull that and it will give you access to pull new lines. In the cabinet in the cabin that houses the stereo, there should be a panel that is removable, open that up and you will gain access to all of the wiring that goes to the helm station. I used a fiberglass fish tape to go from the engine room to the stereo location.
    Thanks. 

I actually had a brainwave, and looked for a matching used stereo head. Much to my surprise, I found one (!) which was local. So I got it, and hopefully in the spring I can just plug and play... :)