Options

Mechanic Mistake stories and what you did about the situation?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in General Boating Discussions
I'm just a glutton for punishment here. 

- Jetski oil line to the turbo started leaking.

- Motor had to come out to replace it

- Mechanic here took on the job, couldn't find anyone else for 100's of miles that would even talk about this ski (Honda)

Paid 1400 for the job. 1st test run today a cooling line pops off... found the error quickly after sucking the water out with a wetvac. Yes, mild panic had set in as I had the rear seat off checking for water and when I opened it is was CLEAR there was a problem. The ramp was further away than the boat was, however at the boat location there was no way to get it out of the water... took a gamble and hoped the wetvac could keep up.. it did. 

Problem was hose clamp was not put back in place correctly, I found it on the hose, but in the middle of the hose and loose, not tight where it was supposed to be.

What would you do in this situation, nothing? Confront the mechanic? Let him know about his mistake for future jobs? What would your goals be if you would contact him.?

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    He deserves to know about his mistake. I'd tell him and see what he says.  Maybe he'll volunteer a price break on future work.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would let him know, for the future. A good mechanic will always double check his work.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I would let him know, for the future. A good mechanic will always double check his work.
    He did run it on the hose he claims...and didn't find any leaks. Guess it wasn't high enough pressure. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    From a shops point of view:

As a mechanic $hit happens.  Maybe he took a phone call, customer came in, went to lunch, etc.  Maybe he just missed it because he was thinking about a cute blonde meeting him after work. Techs in boat/auto/marine/ope/motorcycle shops dont have all the double/triple checks an airplane/helicopter gets.  

I'm over 3 techs and mishaps happen.  We wished wee were perfect. I make the issue known to the mechanic, have them correct it if possible so maybe it doesn't happen again.  When damage is done we are obligated to make it right and take care of the issue, correcting the issue and repairing any harm caused by said issue.  Reimbursement from a mishap that causes stress or inconvenience and no damage isnt what a shop does.  It's not a screwed up order from McDonalds so you get a free milkshake.

I'd tell the shop.  Since no damage was done other then maybe needing a change of drawers, its kinda a no harm no foul attitude from most shops.  If you use said shop in the future, and he/they remember you , at my shop id make sure you got a price break as well as a very through once over before it leaves.  If they have pride in their work it would not happen again. I've lost very few customers over screw ups because I make sure any damages are repaired properly even it it means me getting my hands dirty while I cuss the tech who screwed up the entire time.  
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
     You’re paying someone to work and fix something for you. I would expect to get quality and safe work performed. Your not paying for someone to almost sink your ski. What if @J3ff wasn’t able to get the water out and it sank. He’s stuck swimming to shore hoping not to get hit by a passing boat. He should know what happened, it will be in the back of his head to be more detailed in his work. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    My motto is “I can’t fix something I don’t know about” so telling him is the right things so he knows.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Will figure out how to let him know. 

Took it back to the ramp via the water, then back to the marina, rinsed it all out, flushed it, etc.. took it BACK to the ramp (1 mile away), loaded it in the water, with the goal of going for a ride while the sun was out. DAM THING WOULDNT START.

Took it BACK out, brought it back to the marina on the trailer, battery tester wouldn't register anything, jiggled the terminals, nothing, took the wires off and put back on, roars back to life, battery tester says "great" - he put some kind of anti corrosion stuff all over it.. no clue but it just started 5 times on the hose. 

Also, found a leak in the air conditioning connection between the strainer and the circulation pump, currently fixing things as fast as they pop up. What a dam day!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Same thing happened to me last June. Mechanic came and replaced 4 hoses that he found needed replaced during my sea trial. Next week admiral and I go out and about 4 min in to getting on plane the stbd engine is super loud and we can smell exhaust heavy. Turns out there is only 3/4” of metal lip for the hose clamp to bite in to and he put the clamp on too far away on a raw water exhaust hose and it popped off so we were hearing hearing non muffled exhaust noise and smelling it. I called him immediately. Bilge was flooding but pump took care of it quick. I got it back together on the water to head in. It was a Saturday. He met me at the dock and re did every single connection to be sure they were exactly right. That was good with me. 

So yes I’d call him and let him know and ask if he would mind double checking everything he did. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    I once had a Stingray cuddy that I had just picked up from a Spring service, and took to the lake the next day.  I launched, and idled over to a friends houseboat to check on it for him.  Then idled out to the wakeless buoys and took off.  It died in a few hundred feet.  I fired it back up, and it sounded strange.  I glanced down, and I had ZERO oil pressure, so I shut it off immediately.......I opened the engine cover, looked into the bilge, and saw ALL of my oil......drained into the bottom of the bilge, sitting in the middle of it was my oil filter!   My mechanic had cross-threaded it, and somehow it didn't leak until I hit a couple bumps, and it fell off.   
    I got a tow back to the dock, got it on a trailer, got it back into town and to a shop that was there locally.   Fresh oil, fresh filter, and a compression check and I was back in business!  My mechanic covered that bill, and I used that boat for another season before I sold it!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Now...what if @J3ff had put all that money he's spent on the rinker over the past few years into GME stocks back in Sept/Oct when they were 4 bucks a share then sold the moment they hit north of 300. 

Also maybe the keys has bad technicians.  The rear ac went out in the excursion on our first trip down.  There was a little shop at the end of the walk way.  So after verifying the rear blend door was working i knew it was a leak in the rear line most likely caused by a faulty inline expansion valve.  Id need some new o rings, expansion valve, vac down then recharge.

My front ac worked fine so i knew my compressor was good.

After explaining to the tech what I needed he said i needed a new compressor most likely.  We drove home from the keys with only the front ac and repaired it myself.   

Ive also rented boats down there with issues...bad issues.  One wouldn't idle.  Idling in canalas is a must and you lose all steering when the engine dies.  Super fun in wind and current.

Another had only one battery,  the float for bilge kept sticking after every rain.  I keep a jumper box on the boat with me at all times so I was prepared if I didn't catch it in time.  

I also had an improperly threaded fuel cap on one which took in water when it rained.  The fuel cap had been lost and they just grabbed what they had around. 

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'm in that and DOGE :) don't you worry, when it rockets off to the moon, the boat will be pulled, noise fixed and sold. Then we get into a real live-a-board!

list of accomplishments from yesterday

- stop jetski from sinking, fix hose that popped off, put clamp in correct place
    - completely rinse/saltaway inside of jetski after sucking 30 gallons of water out of it with a wet vac
    - 2 trips to ramp, both failures. 
    - Wire brush battery terminals, rub off anti corrosion stuff mechanic put on, jetski runs flawless so far today, took it on a 20 mile run.
    - New house battery charger for the rinker. Batteries are perfect again.
    - Fix leak from cracked PVC fitting on AC circulator pump
    - Track down annoying noise that AC compressor was making, electrical box was rubbing against a wall.
    - Replace jetski trailer lights with LEDS.

yesterday was a marathon, as is Keys tradition, had a real drink at 10am this morning!!
  • Options
    I'm invested in AMC.  

I love how Reddit called what they did "weaponized autism".  
  • Options
    Yes, also in AMC, that's been a big flop for me, but GME has been a winner so far!! Check out DOGE lol. when it hits 40k / share like Bitcoin did, I will retire and join handy in motor homing the country! 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    J3ff said:
    yesterday was a marathon, as is Keys tradition, had a real drink at 10am this morning!!
    That sums it up well! Love thinking of those days with a drink at 10am, especially as I've been on the wagon all year👎.

As for the market, anyone betting that CCIV is Lucid?  If that happens, it is sure to rocket. I've been watching it since it was at 10, but hard to gamble in such an unknown.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @J3ff. The way I see it is you had to correct his mistake. They should at least refund a portion of the labor. I always pay with a credit card so that I maintain some leverage.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A buddy told me about cciv about 10 days ago. I could not see it. Boy I messed up.
    Maybe this drinking club with a boating problem needs a stock thread.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I think it does. There's a good one on the hull truth. Have watched a few of their picks go right up the morning after they talk about it! Would love to do the same here. Haven't ever jumped on their tips though
  • Options
    I kept seeing memes on ifunny mentioning GME stonks but didn't understand the story behind them.  Looking back now I should have and tossed a couple hundred at it.  

We need someone on here that really knows the market as well as someone with a basement dwelling redditor bil or other family members to give us all tips!   I trade with wells Fargo, they won't let me bid on e currency.  
  • Options
    Yeah, a stocks thread may have to be started.  I've always gotten into financial type stuff.  It just interests me a ton.  Maybe I'll start a thread tomorrow, or if the super bowl gets boring I'll do it tonight.😀

• Options
    The NFL is dead to me.  The Steelers have made it an easy transition.  Making a few bills on the market is much more interesting to me!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The NFL is dead to me.  The Steelers have made it an easy transition.  Making a few bills on the market is much more interesting to me!!!
    I completely agree!  I am a Browns fan, but really haven't watched much over the years except a little of super bowls.  

I've enjoyed learning and investing in the market.

• Options
    I kept seeing memes on ifunny mentioning GME stonks but didn't understand the story behind them.  Looking back now I should have and tossed a couple hundred at it.  

We need someone on here that really knows the market as well as someone with a basement dwelling redditor bil or other family members to give us all tips!   I trade with wells Fargo, they won't let me bid on e currency.  
    pretty sure this where the stonk gme talk started..

• Options
    Elon Musk has some bad blood with the sec so I'm sure he likes to fan the fire