Options

Starting engine out of water

Are we able to start the engine out of water on a bravo 3 350 motor? I tried my normal muffs but they didn't work.I hear I might need an extra part for another intake?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    My 342 with 350/B3 had thru-hull water pickups in addition to the feed from the B3.  If yours is like that, you'd have to close the thru-hulls.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran my b-3 350 a lot on muffs. What problem did you have. Winterized every year that way.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    My B3s had both thru hull intake and intakes on the drives. I was able to run them on standard muffs from cabelas or Walmart by closing the seacocks on the thru hulls and then when the engines were first started,I would use my hands on each side of the **** to really push in to establish a good seal. Would take 10-15 seconds but sure enough water would come through. Once I had good flow I could let go and water would flow through just fine from a hose or bucket on the swim platform. All that said, they sell a merc **** that works awesome, I’ve tried them. Much tighter seal, no need to press. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 05 342 I used to pull the intake hose of the sea strainer and stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with a hose. With that said they do make a Bravo3 set of ear muffs it has a pin like piece that goes though the drive to make a better seal.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    @toolmaker312 is your water flow high enough? I think you need some good pressure as well as getting the RPM up to prime the pumps.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    We pulled the boat out of water last year and tried to use the earmuffs with 5 gallon bucket of  filled with antifreeze. It did not take anything out of the bucket. I was led to believe that there is another set of intakes on the lower unit that need to be covered. 91-8811500q1 is the part number. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    You have to put your 4 to 5 gallons of pink antifreeze up high on a step ladder, or engine hatch, before starting the engine. In a 5 gallon jug with cap and valve. then about 8 ft of hose attached to muffs. Gravity pushes antifreeze down to outdrive. You can buy these already made. or make one.

like this
    Camco Do It Yourself Boat Winterizer- Quickly Winterize Marine Engines Allows Flushing and Preparation of Boat Engine for Winter Storage 65501
    Turn off engine when jug is empty, and all pink come through. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yea on my B3 I used the same system that randy posted with standard muffs. Did not rev, always neutral sped, 600-700 rpm. Again, press those rubber ears in tight against the drive until you have flow 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same system also along with the muffs that @Liberty44140 posted.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    on the nose of the drive there is also  water pick up I taped them up with duct tape when I used the muffs 
  • Options
    Thanks all. I wont be getting to the boat anytime soon, but I will let you know of the outcome. It is never to early to start dreaming.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
     It is never to early to start dreaming.
    I've gotta agree! :smile:

I'll also recommend using the rectangular muffs that look like stethoscope, allowing water to enter both sides.  The hose and the "Y" portion I stuff up behind against the transom.  It works like a champ!  I've had someone that struggled for years and finally had the marina do it.  I showed them the rectangular muffs and how to tuck them in against the transom, they were amazed how well it works. I also run the same connection off of hose first, using the camco setup that Randy showed a picture of.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    One more thing to consider.  You said the muffs didn't work, and you have dual water intakes (B3 + thru-hull).  Maybe your B3 water intake is blocked. 

There's a fitting in the transom assembly that can get blocked by corrosion or marine fouling.  In normal operation, you'd never know because you'd be pulling water from the thru-hull.  

With the boat out of the water, you could test it without too much work.  On the raw water pump, disconnect the intake hose.  Hook up the muffs and crank the water.  If you don't get a solid stream coming into the bilge, there's your sign.  
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Also, some B3s have the low water pickup on the bottom of the outdrive that has to be blocked, or all that water that enters the drive through the muffs just runs out the bottom. 
  • Options
    Ahh that’s a great point 69, forgot About that. For years I didn’t know about that and was a still able to run water through but by holding those openings shut with my hand until I had flow I was able to get flow much faster. They are on the front edge of the drive forward of the props. Some tape them shut but my drives has trilux 33 on them so tape wouldn’t stick 

• Options
    Thanks.I think the taping is my solution. I don't think I have through hull (only saw generator valve in engine compartment) and the out drives were kept on a lift and are clean,so I don't think it is corrosion is it either. I cant wait to try it.