Options

Abandon Ship PFD

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
Been contemplating this over the last few months after I saw that video of the guy hugging the bow of his boat as it was bobbing around for hours - his EPIRB supposedly trapped below, unable to activate.

So, I tried to come up with a customized PFD for use in fresh water, near-shore, and hopefully a quick response. This is what I came up with. Plan is this would be within reach to grab and quickly don during a Mayday situation. (All of this stuff used to just be in a tackle box labeled "SOS")

Everything is attached with a reflective paracord tether so even if it's dropped and doesn't float, it'll still be there.

1. Personal Locator Beacon (PLB)
2. SOS Strobe light
3. Whistle
4. VHF Radio
5. Knife
6. Signal Mirror
7. Dye Marker
8. 8' Reflective Paracord with Carabiner (to attach to other MOB to keep people together in water)

Plan is to have two of these on board, pre-fit, one for the Captain, one for the Admiral. Transient guests would have access to the typical PFD with a whistle and glow stick attached.

Thoughts? Anything I'm forgetting or that you'd recommend?

Comments

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Good stuff Tony...gave us all some things to think about.
    You appear to be 98% ahead of most recreational boaters.

Might have to use that knife to fight off the unprepared boaters swimming beside you.

edit: I really need to go thru my safety stuff. I'm pretty fastidious - I updated my First Aid kits last year. A lot of stuff was out of date.

Post edited by mattie on
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I like it.  How do you keep the lanyards secured so they don't get tangled up in storage and handling?  The last thing you need in a panic is an arm tied up in a tangle. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought about that. I tried to make the lengths "just right" based on how I think I would use it. With the exception of the carabiner/tether, which is about 6' long, everything else is on a 2-3' leash - and wrapped neatly around itself, so when it's pulled out it just falls naturally without catching on anything else.

I plan to do a real world test this summer by "falling" off the boat to see how it all works in the water.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the real world test. I think all captain's should practice. I have a ditch bag with the things you have, like the idea having everything at arms reach.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. My admiral wears her inflatable vest with our plb attached for any run that is farther out than we can swim to shore... which is most. I’ve been getting better about wearing my inflatable but still a work in progress 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Inflatables have been like seatbelts to the admiral and I.  Habit now to start engine and put on jacket.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly +++ on the inflatable pfd wearing. 

My EPIRB is mounted in the cabin in an easy to grab location. Just no decent place to mount near the helm. 

If you have a marine VHF with MMSI : make sure you register it too!  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    skennelly said:
    Inflatables have been like seatbelts to the admiral and I.  Habit now to start engine and put on jacket.
    I completely agree.  We always put ours on before the motor is started.👍

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express