Battery Fuse Amp Rating.

seahawkseahawk Member Posts: 62
Hi again. I have another electrical question that I'm hoping i can get some advice on. I recently bought a 280 EC. The boat is basically in standard configuration,  and as far as I remember there are no additional electrical or electronic systems on the boat other than what came from the factory in 2008. There is a windlass but No A/C, no heater. I'm replacing all the batteries for the delivery trip home in the spring and I'm going to install Marine Rated Battery Fuses to the 2 battery house bank and the start battery. Would someone possibly be able to give me an idea as to what size ( amperage ) of fuse I should consider. The fuse choice ranges from 30A to 300A.   Thanks for any input you might provide. Much appreciated.   

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The banks are already protected by circuit breakers in the battery panel. If you want to replace the breakers, they are 100A breakers. These are direct replacements.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • seahawkseahawk Member Posts: 62
    Thats great to know...thanks. I'll get a couple extra of those breakers. Are those the ones that you mentioned somewhere in one of your posts that had been inadvertently left switched off and caused you some issue..??....or am I confusing this with some other post..??
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, when I brought the boat back to Pittsburgh, the selling marina had left the breakers off. Excited to get out on the water, I put the boat in, took her for a cruise. Get to a location, dropped the windlass and relaxed. When I went to pull the windlass, very little power. Had to go to emergency to get the anchor up and start the boat. Found out the next day that the batteries weren't charging because the breakers were off.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Thanx for that....I'll be sure to include that in my "list" of things to be aware of. Thats something I probably wouldnt have thought of if it hadnt been for this Rinker forum......

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reason to get spare breakers
    I guess thats true,......but those ones have probably been on the boat for 12 years, in a fairly unforgiving environment,..and for the cost of a couple of new ones, Its just one more thing that I can have confidence in knowing they're not corroded...especially because they're on the outside of the boat. But you're right...   :-)