Speedometer

DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
I just had a bunch of work done on my 2002 342 including a new transducer. The mechanic working on the boat said he was going to remove the transom mounted transducer as it wasn’t used anymore. I told him I was pretty sure it also was connected to the speedometer and to not remove it if it was going to break the speedometer. He calls me a couple of days later to tell me he removed it because it was the old transducer not needed anymore. Sure enough, speedometer no longer works. Now, I rarely looked at the speedometer and, of all the things to break on a boat, I don’t care too much about it. If I really want to know, the garmin shows me GPS speed. But I wanted to get some opinions:

1. should I ask for a discount on the work? He did break it even after I warned him. What would this be worth? I have no idea what it would cost to fix if I wanted to. He charged about $200 to cut it off, glass in the holes, and repaint. 
2. Anything useful or cool I could put in the space where the broken speedometer is located? After all, I’ve just got a dead gauge there now. 

Thanks,
Dan
2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
1998 Regal 2100 LSR

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I have a 2002 342 and the speedo works off a little "tube" that goes to the back of one of my drives. On my boat it does not work off a transducer 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I was gonna say.  @DanW Ask the mechanic to check the pitot tube sensor.

The leading edge of the outdrive has a little hole, maybe 1/8" diameter, that goes to a tube inside the leg.  If the hole gets clogged, the sensor stops working.

There are a few other points where it could have been accidentally disconnected:  the sensor inside the engine room, or the plug that connects the sensor to the wiring harness.  

But, as you say, that speedo is redundant if you have a GPS.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    The tube on the outdrive could’ve come disconnected also. My 2008 330 doesn’t have a speedometer, it didn’t come with one. It has it on the GPS and I use Navionics on my iPad. I’m sure you can find something to put in it’s spot if you go that route.
    2008 330EC
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No speedometer uses a transducer 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? My 2001 242 had the connection at the drive with a hose. 
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    Really? My 2001 242 had the connection at the drive with a hose. 
    There are combo units with a small wheel
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To check the speedometer you need to put compressed air to the back of the unit. A small blast should make the needle move. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Didn't some 342's come with inboards? Maybe he has an inboard and it uses the transducer. @Handymans342 your 342 had a transducer mounted on the stern? BTW your answer is a little confusing........ "No speedometer uses a transducer" meaning that speedo's don't use transducers or No (answering a question)  speedometer (do)use a transducer.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    edited March 2021
    No my 342 used the outdrive pickup and hose. It was clogged too. Needed to use a drill bit. NO speedometers do not use a transducer. Only depth finders. 
  • DanWDanW Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I guess I should clarify. Handy is right that the transducer itself is not sending speed info but the transducer mounted on my transom had the wheel on it. So it was a combo unit. 

Thanks for the replies. It helped a lot. I’ll have to,do some more investigation as I assumed the transom mounted transducer/speed was factory. From what you guys say, it was probably added by a previous owner. Maybe it was added because the outdrive pitot tube didn’t work? Or maybe it’s a coincidence and the mechanics disconnected something when they pulled the drives. 

Thanks again for the replies. I’ll check connections in the engine room and check the pitot tube next time it’s out of the water. I’m not going to haul it out again just for the speedometer. 

Dan
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    1998 Regal 2100 LSR