Options

Ongaro horn sounds wimpy or not working? It might need better power.

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
If your Ongaro dual trumpet horn is not working properly, you might need to rewire it for a better power connection.  

Mine had been working intermittently for a year or two, then last year stopped working entirely.  One of the back covers was missing, so I figured that was why it failed.  I installed a new horn, but it was having the same problem. 

Ongaro told me that this horn needs a high startup current in the first fraction of a second.  It only draws 4 amps continuous, but it needs a solid power connection to supply the startup transient.  I rewired it to draw power directly from the helm's main 12V feed rather than from the wiring harness.  Now this important piece of safety equipment works as it should. 
17206368jpg

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Interesting, I may have to check this one out.  I seem to have to go in and do a little cleaning/sanding each year on mine.  It probably needs that as well, but it still doesn't always work perfectly.  Maybe this is the fix.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I tried cleaning the contacts on the original horn ... actually, that's how I lost one of the covers.  In retrospect, maybe the contacts were never the problem.  Only time will tell.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Do you have any pics of the wiring?  I'm guessing before the switch it goes in the harness and that's where you disconnected?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    This was an easy mod. 

I have a rocker switch for the horn.  One of the spade connectors on the back of the switch is 12V+ supply from the wiring harness.  All I did was unplug that connector and make a new wire:  one end has a female spade connector for the switch, and the other end connects to the helm power bus.  I think I used 12 AWG wire.  

I didn't change the wires from the switch to the horn.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I tried the electric horn last year and ended up putting in an air horn instead.  A weak electrical source was one of the reasons.  I teste it by running a wire directly to the battery and it was great.  As soon as i connected up a typical momentary switch it would barely activate it.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!