yea ..... 300 hour service kits ..... nay

trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    dose doesn’t look like a big savings to buy as a kit 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not about the parts, it’s the labor. In 2017 I paid around $3k for my mechanic to do kits on both bravo 3 on my 342. That is a pretty heavy duty job for a DIY. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say nay.  Kits like this don't make sense for boats.  At 300 engine hours, a boat might be one year old, or it might be 15 years old.  Most service is done by calendar time or inspection, not by engine hours. 
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I say nay.  Kits like this don't make sense for boats.  At 300 engine hours, a boat might be one year old, or it might be 15 years old.  Most service is done by calendar time or inspection, not by engine hours. 
    I agree with LaRea. 300 hours on spark plugs is really nothing but if they were 10 years old i might consider changing them. Probably best to replace what's needed after an inspection and not based on just hours on the clock
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it amusing that the B3 kit includes a replacement for the raw water inlet fitting.  That part lasts for the life of the transom assembly.  I just removed two that look brand-new after 14 years and 820 engine hours.  
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I say Nay also.  Unless the parts were a big savings and you needed all of them but them separately.  Some of what i saw i do every year, some every 2-3 yrs. others...when they get worn.  Things like anodes for instance need to be customized for the water you are in.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I couldnt imagine paying someone $3k to do this.... Its really not that difficult... A couple hundred in special tools, a free weekend and a few swear words should get ya thru it.
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s