DTS 'Clean Power' cable - battery?

pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
I have a DTS/Axius system and get different error messages, after research and help on this forum I cleaned all my battery connections, changed out my alternators.  the errors have reduced in frequency, but I still get only approx 13v showing on my Vessel View.
After doing more research, I have discovered that the DTS 'Clean Power' cable is connected to the house battery and not a starting battery.
1. Must it be connected to a starting battery?

2. In a twin engine setup, should there only be one 'clean power' cable?

thanks

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's safer to use a starter battery.  The house bank might be dead or low after a day at anchor, but the starters will always have power.  Each engine has its own DTS power cable. 
  • pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I only have one clean power cable!!!!

Merc recommends connecting each engine's DTS clean power directly to the voltage source.  If you have one wire feeding both DTS systems, maybe they are not getting enough current.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree completely with LaRea.  The DTS should definitely be on the starter engine battery.  Also, they should be individually powered if at all possible.  The way you have it, the wire length is probably longer for one engine and the wire size may not be adequate, especially the portion that both would be using (assuming it's like a 'Y' or 'T').  I believe a separate cable using the correct wire size will solve your issue.  The DTS can be very particular about it's voltage & current draw (which would change under load if wiring is not correct).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

would Rinker have wired it this way?
    If I buy two new clean power harnesses, where do they plug in to?

edited March 2021
    Are you a DIY person, or would a mechanic do it for you? 

Start by tracing each wire from the DTS connector on the engine, which you should be able to see by removing the cover on top of the engine.  

Or you could just run new wire from the battery to each engine and splice it to the existing connector -- but ONLY IF you do a properly crimped butt connector with glue-lined heat-shrink to protect it.  If you don't have a good crimper, or you're uncomfortable doing that type of work, get a pro to do it.  
    Oh, and I forgot - at the battery, there's a 7.5-amp inline fuse (one for each engine).
    I am a DIYer and would like the challenge of crimping in a new wire, but when it comes to safety and getting stuck in open I will opt to purchase the correct harnesses.
    Does the clean power harness plug directly in the PCM?  

Thanks guys for your help so far.
    On my 496, there's a separate plug over near the shift actuator.  I'm not sure how it's set up with Axius.  In this photo, it's in the center of the image.

thank you, everything looks nicely labeled.   :)