Options

Gen 3 Fuel issues

Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
With all the discussion regarding paint flaking off the insides of the cool fuel module due to ethanol in fuel, my question is, will adding the Startron fuel additive (which claims to eliminate ethanol problems) negate the paint stripping effect of gas with some ethanol content? We trailer our 246 (350 MAG, Bravo 3) and I pump in premium fuel, hopefully with minimal ethanol, and add Startron. Haven't noticed any performance problems such as clogged filter or such, but wonder if I'm taking chances by using convenience store gas?

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    startron is good stuff... I personally documented improvement in fuel economy, performance (as registered via exhaust gas temperature), and could advance timing to the same degree I could do running recreational gasoline @ 48* advance..  I register zero pre-dets using the startron.

I stripped an engine down to block after using it for a substantial amount of time, and compared it to the same engine that ran ethanol previous to rebuild- the fuel systems were visibly cleaner by a long shot.. the injector tips looked new..  the rail lines had zero deposits. the fuel pump itself showed no signs of damage/build up whatsoever..

I like the stuff, a floggin' LOT...

that said, I try to run rec gas alone in my floater, but keep the startron handy in the case it's unavailable... I believe in the stuff, though I can't quantify why or how it works.. it can't possibly remove the solvent nature of alcohol, but it sure seems to reduce its effects..

all I can share about fuel points is this: try to use only high volume stations, and never just after they resupplied- as it stirs sediments up that haven't had time to find bottom again.. using the same station (or at least fuel from the same rack) allows an engine to maintain environmental variables in your PCM that differences in blends can confuse... which means more consistent burn/performance as you'll be crossing zero on the trim more often..