Running Battery Cables forward in 310 EC

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
I am looking to move my house battery two 128 amp each (Rolls AGM weight 82 pound each) under my bed closed to the bow of the boat to get some way out my Engine room, but I can't see any passageway to run the Positive and Negative 2/0 cables to the bow. Any ideas will be appreciate to get those heavy cables forward. Thx    

Comments

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    @oscar1 - I think you may be able to do it on the starboard side. Starting from the bed you should be able pull the cable behind the wardrobe, the galley, the head and the aft berth this way: There is an access panel inside the wardrobe (just to the left of the sink) which should get you under the bed. Then if you pop the stove off you'll have access inside/behind the galley/fridge. Then in the head remove the under sink storage (4 screws) and remove the garbage can. Then in the aft berth take out the storage along the starboard wall. I think you may be able to snake from one to another. I've never tried it, but I think it might work. 
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    Thank you tony. i am going to look into tomorrow
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    That sounds like a very long cable run.  I'm sure you have, but make sure the cable size is appropriate for the length and current you'll be pulling.  Take some pics as I'm sure others will be interested.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DI in the fact that is a very long cable run. You are going to need some heavy gauge wire for both batteries. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Keep in mind that if the batteries are 15 feet away your voltage drop calculations is for 30 ft.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    I am look to run a set of  2/0, because my two house batteries are connect in parallel.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    For a total of 60ft of 2/0 wire you will add almost 30 lbs.  I do agree the displacement would be great, but it's a tough call moving batteries that far away from everything.  You're almost better moving something like a water heater.  I guess that only gets 50lbs.  160lbs is a lot and will help.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried running with the new hard top?  Maybe the extra weight forward of wherein the arch was will help and you can get away with moving less weight forward like @Dream_Inn mentioned
    I didn't think about the cable's weight. My thought is that weight is going to be spread out through the boat. 
    I haven't run the boat yet.