Options

Boating with a baby

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
Some OG's on here would probably never have expected to see a topic like this from me, but its real! We had a beautiful baby girl last Fall, so this summer we'll be boating with a baby on board.

Any tips or tricks from anyone that has done this? I've got a 276 cuddy, so there's definitely enough space for a nap & to get out of the shade, but no AC or heat. Any "must have" accessories that anyone has used to help with a really little one on board?

Pic for attention :)

May be an image of baby

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Such a cutie pie......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Congratulations @JoeStang !! 
    We actually jumped up from our 242 to the 330 because things got tight and we wanted AC. We now have 2 girls 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. Having room for a foldable crib was a big plus. We used the blue one for a while then decided to only use it for the beach. Then we got the grey one to leave on the boat. I would think this would fit in your 276. Keep lots of toys onboard also, you will need to keep her busy!!

Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Some of our best - and worst - boating was when the kids where in diapers.

The biggest issues is the life jacket requirement. Kids get hot and cranky real fast and keep trying to rip them off. Meltdowns are common in hot weather. One time my wife brought our daughter below so she could take off the life jacket, but then it was so hot in the cabin they both started getting seasick. We headed home as fast as we could.

On perfect weather days with a cool breeze everybody was happy. It was a learning curve about when to boat with kids.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Is easy when she isn’t walking. Wait till she wants to move around, you’ll be thinking about when you were single and kidless on the boat, LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I survived life on the lake without AC in the south, on open bow boats at that. When not on the water we were camping in tents or pop up campers without AC.  Once my parents moved up to a pop up with a.c. they put my sister and I into tents in front of the camper!!!  Looking back now my parents were awful lol

I didn't buy a boat with ac until my son was 9 or 10 hrs old.

I used to find coves with plenty of shade.  Once i moved to a saiboat i found upgrading anything to bring more air into the cabin was critical.  Two electric fans and an air scoop on top of the hatch proved enough until about 90 degrees.  Keep in mind a 21ft McGregor sailboat cabin is near coffin size!   We think about how much fun we now have on the 28 with ac, tv, head and galley but the little lady, myself and the kiddo had the best vacations on that little boat.

The a.c. in the 235 i had was a roll around 7kbtu unit a 2000 watt generator could run.  The exahsut went out the aft bed window.

Once my kid could walk we put him in puddle jumpers,  much better for learning to swim than regular life jackets.  I waited til my kid was about 9 mos old to start lake life with him so he fit somewhat in an old life jacket my nieces and nephews handed  down to the new babies over maybe 10 years.  Once he was walking he went into the puddle jumper.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, your life is over now lol
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful girl, ruffle butt swim ware, the other guys covered most things, we always kept bimini top up for shade. I also had a 12 volt fan to plug in dc outlet. Used when needed. Sippy cups already prepared with drinks. The baby's momma will do just fine with her. 
    We did it with much smaller boats than yours.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    shawnmjr said:
    Congrats Joe, I don’t have any tips for you but just wanted to congratulate you. Many memories to come. 
    And @JoeStang , thanks for your single days memories 😎
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    It figures that the child is good-looking too.  :)  Congrats @JoeStang, good to hear from you.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Congrats Joe!  Beautiful baby girl!  I could go on forever about boating with baby/kids since our college children have boated since born. 

Only thing to add is to continue all the boating and enjoy!!  We did 10 day trips on a 24 ft boat, twice a summer, with two in diapers for one entire summer and no air conditioning for first 7 years.  I wouldn't change a thing!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    congrats
    common sense 
    bigger boat
    theirs a cple nice 310 ec for sale up there 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    congratulations 
    I have 3 boys we had a 21 foot regal at the time we all survived without ac 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Boating with a kid is the best, started my guy at 3 years old.  Dinghy is where the real fun is had.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Congratulations @JoeStang !! 
    We actually jumped up from our 242 to the 330 because things got tight and we wanted AC. We now have 2 girls 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. Having room for a foldable crib was a big plus. We used the blue one for a while then decided to only use it for the beach. Then we got the grey one to leave on the boat. I would think this would fit in your 276. Keep lots of toys onboard also, you will need to keep her busy!!

I definitely dont have the floor space for anything like this on my boat. The 276 cuddy has just a medium sized v berth that isnt even "stand up" tall. It can sleep 2 adults or 3 kids, but thats about it. Thats a really cool setup on the beach though, got a link for it online?

TonyG13 said:
    Congratulations! Some of our best - and worst - boating was when the kids where in diapers.

The biggest issues is the life jacket requirement. Kids get hot and cranky real fast and keep trying to rip them off. Meltdowns are common in hot weather. One time my wife brought our daughter below so she could take off the life jacket, but then it was so hot in the cabin they both started getting seasick. We headed home as fast as we could.

On perfect weather days with a cool breeze everybody was happy. It was a learning curve about when to boat with kids.

Yeah I've had my nieces out a couple times and life jackets were always a battle. The difference is I just ignored it and let them deal with the crying baby. :D Up here in Michigan we dont get a ton of 90*+ days, and even when its that warm on land its 5-10* cooler on the lake. But yeah, super hot or super choppy days will be a no-go I'm sure.

aero3113 said:
    Is easy when she isn’t walking. Wait till she wants to move around, you’ll be thinking about when you were single and kidless on the boat, LoL!

Wait, I'm not supposed to be thinking about being single and kidless already?? Crap

I survived life on the lake without AC in the south, on open bow boats at that. When not on the water we were camping in tents or pop up campers without AC.  Once my parents moved up to a pop up with a.c. they put my sister and I into tents in front of the camper!!!  Looking back now my parents were awful lol

I didn't buy a boat with ac until my son was 9 or 10 hrs old.

I used to find coves with plenty of shade.  Once i moved to a saiboat i found upgrading anything to bring more air into the cabin was critical.  Two electric fans and an air scoop on top of the hatch proved enough until about 90 degrees.  Keep in mind a 21ft McGregor sailboat cabin is near coffin size!   We think about how much fun we now have on the 28 with ac, tv, head and galley but the little lady, myself and the kiddo had the best vacations on that little boat.

The a.c. in the 235 i had was a roll around 7kbtu unit a 2000 watt generator could run.  The exahsut went out the aft bed window.

Once my kid could walk we put him in puddle jumpers,  much better for learning to swim than regular life jackets.  I waited til my kid was about 9 mos old to start lake life with him so he fit somewhat in an old life jacket my nieces and nephews handed  down to the new babies over maybe 10 years.  Once he was walking he went into the puddle jumper.  

I'm definitely going to be investing in some good fans for the cuddy and/or hatch. I cant ever imagine wanting or needing AC or a gen on this boat, but who knows. No shady coves around here to seek shade in, but I've got a good sized bimini that pretty much stays up all summer. Thanks for the puddle jumper recommendation. B)

Joe, your life is over now lol

Dude, its been over. :D

In reality though I didnt have to get rid of anything, and I've doubled my household income. Time is harder to come by right now, but that will change also.

randy56 said:
    Beautiful girl, ruffle butt swim ware, the other guys covered most things, we always kept bimini top up for shade. I also had a 12 volt fan to plug in dc outlet. Used when needed. Sippy cups already prepared with drinks. The baby's momma will do just fine with her. 
    We did it with much smaller boats than yours.

I think dad & daughter will have matching sippy cups. Mine just might be a little higher octane. LOL

shawnmjr said:
    Congrats Joe, I don’t have any tips for you but just wanted to congratulate you. Many memories to come. 

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

aero3113 said:
    shawnmjr said:
    And @JoeStang , thanks for your single days memories 😎

Haha, yeah that was a fun time. More than I even put on here. Problem is, karma is a b!tch and I have a feeling I have some challenging times ahead in 15-25 years. :D

LaRea said:
    It figures that the child is good-looking too.  :)  Congrats @JoeStang, good to hear from you.  

Thanks, yeah so far she's pretty high up on the cute scale. The ugliness that she can create in her diaper is scary though. Never thought such a precious little thing could be so scary, all while smiling at me. Its bizarre. :D

Dream_Inn said:
    Congrats Joe!  Beautiful baby girl!  I could go on forever about boating with baby/kids since our college children have boated since born. 

Only thing to add is to continue all the boating and enjoy!!  We did 10 day trips on a 24 ft boat, twice a summer, with two in diapers for one entire summer and no air conditioning for first 7 years.  I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks DI. Yeah I definitely am looking forward to making memories on the boat with her for years to come. The wife isnt really into sleeping onboard, but mostly because there isnt really great space for it. It'll be mostly day trips for now, but who knows what the future brings as far as boat size.

trip_n said:
    congrats
    common sense 
    bigger boat
    theirs a cple nice 310 ec for sale up there 

Agreed. I really like the 310/320EC layout, but I still feel like I would miss some of the "outside" space of my 276. It really has a ton of space for a 28 footer, and the rear facing seats are basically the best spot on the boat. I think I would come close to skipping the 30's altogether and get into something like a Formula 400SS. Thats a long ways off though.

GMSLITHO said:
    congratulations 
    I have 3 boys we had a 21 foot regal at the time we all survived without ac 

Agreed. I dont see a need for AC up here, just cool off in the water. :)

YYZRC said:
    Boating with a kid is the best, started my guy at 3 years old.  Dinghy is where the real fun is had.

Yeah kinda wishing I didnt sell my dinghy a couple years ago now, but I never used it. I can see how they can be a blast for quick trips around and putzing with a toddler.

• Options
    Here’s a link @JoeStang .
     I feel the same way, it’s going to be tough with 2 girls in the future 😵.

Summer Pop ‘n Play Deluxe Ultimate Playard, Aqua Splash – Full Coverage Indoor/Outdoor Play Pen – Portable Playard with Fast, Easy and Compact Fold https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTZ8EBE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6EDXM56E4P935DKZWSV2
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    YYZRC said:

I agree!  But, as my the admiral & I have gotten the boat more to ourselves lately, we have been finding dinghy rides, with a drink and some music to be tons of fun!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    This video is with one of our dock neighbors, we tied up together one day last season and he took me and my 3 year old out. She had a blast!

https://youtube.com/shorts/scPyw2CDqE4

2008 330EC
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    We boated in our 19’ Bayliner cuddy with our 8 month old daughter.  Having a cuddy was a blessing to keep out of the sun.  Rarely hot enough here to feel the need for AC so that was never an issue.  Our biggest problem was she wouldn’t nap very good on the boat.  Just too much going on to settle down.  Would tend to get cranky as the day went on.  Still, very doable. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that was something no one saw coming!! Congrats
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as everybody stays safe on the boat - good times & memories will be had.
    Half the fun is tweaking stuff on the boat each year as the kids grow. 

Debbie Downer here but get setting some $$$ aside for school. I’m on the far side of $200K putting 2 kids thru University. They grow up real fast....

Super cute kid!
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! My daughter was born this past November so also trying to baby proof my 342 this season. 
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    We have our first two grandbabies on the way.  Interesting to see what works for boating with little ones.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe, you grew up too fast. 
  • Options
    LoL!!😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful baby Joe. Congrats . Just some cautious advice when boating with a baby that is under a year.  There has been reported issues of “ shaking baby syndrome” from jarring boat rides in infants until their brain is developed. So slow is the way to go, you will have to cease those wake jumping 40 mph boat rides for now. 
  • Options
    Spyderweb said:
    We boated in our 19’ Bayliner cuddy with our 8 month old daughter.  Having a cuddy was a blessing to keep out of the sun.  Rarely hot enough here to feel the need for AC so that was never an issue.  Our biggest problem was she wouldn’t nap very good on the boat.  Just too much going on to settle down.  Would tend to get cranky as the day went on.  Still, very doable. 

Yeah I'm sure that will be a question mark with mine as well, but hopefully she gets tired enough that she is able to take a nap here & there.

J3ff said:
    Well that was something no one saw coming!! Congrats
    Had to grow up sometime! Had my single guy fun for sure, and this new fun is just as memorable. I was gonna say it costs a little less, but that eventually will not be the case. LOL

mattie said:
    As long as everybody stays safe on the boat - good times & memories will be had.
    Half the fun is tweaking stuff on the boat each year as the kids grow. 

Debbie Downer here but get setting some $$$ aside for school. I’m on the far side of $200K putting 2 kids thru University. They grow up real fast....

Super cute kid!

Yeah safety is #1 on my boat. There's always lots of fun, but I have some specific rules to keep everyone coming back safe. And we'll see about paying for school. I've got two stepkids as well (14 & 9), and no way we can afford to put them all through school, if they even decide to go that route. I'm a big believer in paying your own way and appreciating the hard work needed, as thats how me and my wife have gotten to the place we are at.  :#

Congrats! My daughter was born this past November so also trying to baby proof my 342 this season. 

Congrats! Yeah you've got alot more space to spread out, so I'm jealous there. :)

rmrstlmo said:
    We have our first two grandbabies on the way.  Interesting to see what works for boating with little ones.

A 390 will be awesome for little ones I'm sure, and congrats :)

I agree, and a little too late some would argue :D:D

goalie59 said:
    Beautiful baby Joe. Congrats . Just some cautious advice when boating with a baby that is under a year.  There has been reported issues of “ shaking baby syndrome” from jarring boat rides in infants until their brain is developed. So slow is the way to go, you will have to cease those wake jumping 40 mph boat rides for now. 

Good points and good to know. Yeah I will for sure have to be more conservative when she's coming out. The 276 is a decent boat in chop, as I can usually bury the bow and smooth it out decently, but it is def not a heavy boat for its size.