Options

AC unit in the cockpit!

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
I am getting a custom made new enclosure for the boat and I am wonder if it is a good idea to add a small AC unit o provide cold air in the cockpit.What do you captain think about it?...

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where will you put the unit?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have it and love it but it takes up a lot of space. You’ll need to figure out where it will fit. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 13k btu isn't much bigger than an older small dorm room TV.  On walk around fishing boats I've seen them put in the storage areas under the seats in the cockpit
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    I have room under my bed at the bow plus I can run the vent through the starboard side opening behind the cabinet.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I ran a duct from my existing system to the cockpit.  It has a Y-valve so I can close it off when not using it.  Actually, it goes to the engine room, but I can also use it for the cockpit.
  • Options
    I dont know what size duct you ran but its not nearly enough CFM to overcome the solar load
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Correct - a 4" duct is not enough to cool my entire cockpit.  But it can make 1-2 people more comfortable when it's blowing directly at them.  And in Oscar's boat, it would not add more weight.  
  • Options
    You really need a dedicated unit with a dedicated supply and return. Not impossible
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    We have at least 6 small 3” vents outside, 16k dedicated unit. Works great. 
    One guy with the same boat as me in south Florida was not getting the cockpit cool enough and considered a second outside unit but called Crusair first to do the calculations with him. They had him remove 2 small vents and add one large 3” x 12” vent mid cockpit pointing straight up. Made a huge difference for him. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)