Options

New boat owner: 2005 Rinker Captiva 282 Bowrider

psedlonpsedlon Member Posts: 7
Hello, I am the new owner of a 2005 Rinker Captiva 282 bowrider.  Unfortunately, it came with no manuals of any kind.  I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a resource where I could download a set of manuals, service needs, wiring diagrams, etc.  Thanks.

Phil

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome 😁. The boat specific manual is pretty useless if you can even find it. You would mostly be looking for the manuals for your specific systems if you can post what those are then we could help. I got most of my stuff just searching google and the forums. For my 280EC I found wiring diagrams on here, found the generator manual on Google and I think my AC manual was from Marineair website. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Welcome!  Which engine do you have?  I might have the Merc installation manual.  

This document explains warning horns for a bunch of Merc engines.
  • Options
    The boat has the 6.2 Mercruiser with the Bravo 3 outdrive.  Boat only has @300 hours on it. 

I've been all over the internet.  Seems the only thing I can find is a generic Rinker manual that covers runabouts and cuddy's.  It's 65 pages.  I'm guessing this may be the only "manual" that Rinker gave out when you bought a boat.  I did see that they were bought out in 2005, so that may contribute to the generic manual.

I did have another question about the batteries.  If I plug in the shore power to my house, will that keep the batteries charged?  Or do I need to buy a couple of battery tenders/trickle chargers to keep them ready to go? 

The previous owner also told me that he unplugged the refrigerator because it ran off the batteries whenever they are on and it would drain them in a matter of hours.
  • Options
    The boat has an onboard battery charger, right?  Most people leave the boat connected to shore power with the battery charger running.  That keeps the batteries topped up and the fridge cold.  

The generic manual is what Rinker always did.  They avoided the huge expense of creating model-specific manuals, and passed on the cost savings to customers.

The fridge will drain the battery in a day or less (if the charger isn't running).  

I will send you a PM with an engine installation manual.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    OK, great.  Where is the battery charger and how do I keep it on while I'm plugged in at home?  Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first boat, so I'm a real novice at all of this.
  • Options
    The charger is probably mounted in the engine room on a wall near the batteries.  
  • Options
    OK thanks.  I'll get the cover off tomorrow and check.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure how your fridge is wired but mine will run on either 110 or batteries.  I don't unplug it, i just keep the breaker off.  

My battery chargers also have their own breaker.  When plugged into shore power make sure those breakers are turned on.  I also have dual shore power hook ups but only one powers my main accessories, the other was dedicated to air conditioning.  Make sure you have it shore power running to the correct power outlet when hooked up of you have two. I believe my power panel has the ability to switch from shore power 1 or 2 manually via a switch.  Nearly every battery charger I've seen had lights on it that lit red or green when power is applied so when you think you're plugged in properly you should be able to do a quick visual check.  Your volt meter on the dash will also likely shoot from 12v to about 13-14 when chargers are turned on as well, that's with key on-no start.  

I when i ran a phone USB charger port to the admrials side of the bed I installed a little digital led volt meter on the same panel, makes it easy to keep tabs of what power we've used when we don't have the genny running.  As of now my house bank is a single battery.  
  • Options
    I just have one power inlet.  But I still have to get a power cord because the previous owner kept it.  I saw a 30amp to standard 15amp adapter cord.  Can I just use that to keep the batteries charged?

• Options
    I think you're saying the boat has a 30-amp receptacle, and you're running a 15-amp circuit from the house ... yes, a 15-to-30 adapter is fine to run small house loads like the charger.  
  • Options
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say.  I got a 50' cord and 15amp pigtail.