Fuel Gauge Operation/Troubleshooting

YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭
edited March 16 in Electrical Discussions
Is the fuel gauge for each fuel tank (Rinker 330) powered by the appropriate key, or does either key power both fuel gauges?

I'm prepping my 330 for sale and the port fuel gauge doesn't work.  The starboard fuel gauge works fine but it works with either the port or starboard key in the on position.  None of the other gauges do this (volts, etc).  Is this normal?

I know my port sending unit is working fine, so I'm wondering if the gauge itself is broken but I don't understand why the starboard fuel gauge reads when only the port key is on.  If this is normal behavior, I assume the gauge is the problem.
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
Post edited by YYZRC on

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113 or @Spyderweb are you able to confirm how your fuel gauges work? Thanks!
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From everything I see, each side's gauges all draw power from a common source.  One stbd gauge on, all should be on.  I'm ready to be proven wrong!
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC , I’ve been trying to remember. I don’t have my batteries in yet so I can’t try for you. It’s kinda driving crazy because I’m curious! LoL 
    2008 330EC
  • bella-vitabella-vita Buffalo NYMember Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    Only starboard gauges turn on with my starboard key.Port gushes with port key.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    Thank you! Will troubleshoot tomorrow - I have a second gauge to test. 
  • GrahamuGrahamu Port Credit, ON, CDAMember Posts: 187 ✭✭
    On my 2006 342 each fuel gauge is controlled by the ign switch on that side. Thats with Merc Engines.
    edited March 17
    Swapped gauges and no go. 

Based on the connector only having one power (purple ignition) wire, I don't see how the fuel gauges could work independently?

Post edited by YYZRC on
    Should be four wires: 
    purple= 12 volt power
    black = ground
    pink or pink/black stripe = signal
    dark blue = light

Are you getting 12 volts between the purple and black?  
    And if you measure the resistance between pink and black, it should be something like 30 to 200 ohms.
    Tank is full. 30 ohms at sender which I believe is correct. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Ft Myers FloridaMember Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check grounds too
    edited March 17
    To rule out the Deutsch connector, I measured the resistance at the sensor (before the Deutsch connector) and I measured the resistance on the far side of the Deutsch connector; both read 30 ohms

I cannot get a measurement at the dash 12 pin connector for either the port or starboard wires (pink/red and pink/black) with the keys off.  Not sure why or if this is normal.  I ran out of time and didn't get a chance to probe the connector at the gauge itself, but as I mentioned before the starboard gauge works fine.

My assumption is that the pink/black port fuel wire is damaged somewhere between the sender and the helm.  Will try running a wire direct from sender to gauge and see what happens.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Syracuse, NYMember Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Sorry @YYZRC, don’t remember how mine works.  You got me curious now though.
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed my batteries today. On my 2008 330, either key will power both fuel gauges.
    2008 330EC
    Thanks @aero3113 - I appreciate it. Mine is normal, just not working!