Options

Trailering 2004 Fiesta Vee 270

Do you need a wide load permit to tow 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 in Ontario, Canada?

thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The 270 has a beam of 9'1". In Ontario, in fact all Canadian provinces and most U.S. States, a permit is required for loads over 8'6" wide. Frankly, between you and me, unless you encounter a cop with a tape measure and an attitude, you could probably get away with towing without a permit. Andy
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I live in NY a permit is required but never got one  and towed my 270 without any problem
  • Options
    vwtoastervwtoaster Member Posts: 34
    Thanks guys. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At what width is a chase vehicle required? Pretty sure one wasn’t necessary for my 330 which was 11’4” beam. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC my guy never uses one, not sure it’s needed. Maybe 12’ plus?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    "Hello Governor Cuomo, yes I'd like to report someone at Greenwood Lake towing his boat without a permit" :D
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoL, I think Cuomo has other things to worry about now!....LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a chase vehicle is over 12' and yes you probably won't get stopped or hassled at 9'1" however you are gonna have all sorts of issues in an accident even if it's not your fault. The $20 for the 30 day permit in my state is worth every penny. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I towed mine with a 20 dollar uhaul F150... drove right by a cop on the side of the road. Thought for SURE I was done... guess he wasn't looking up!

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would never notice it being only a few inches. I can just see someone clipping the boat and then they realize.....oh look it's oversized and they didn't have permits or signage. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with a lot of things, it's never a problem until it's a problem. Like when somebody side swipes you and you have to explain to your insurance company what you were up to. As a one off, or very occasional thing I'd probably chance it. If I was to trailer constantly I'd get the permit just for lack of worry.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    vwtoastervwtoaster Member Posts: 34
    So if anyone ever applies for a single use oversize permit in Ontario, drop me a line!  It was rejected by MTO twice but third time was the charm!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that truck moved it jeff, was that not a v6?
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I'm surprised that truck moved it jeff, was that not a v6?
    Funny thing was the truck didn't really have a problem moving it...it was stopping it that was the issue. It was less than a mile tow, but the brakes def. had to be pushed harder than what a comfortable pressure is. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I towed my 280EC with my F150 v6 EcoBoost. It pulled well, but I do agree that stopping was an issue. I upgraded to an F250 last summer. The boat feels better behind that truck even though it is a gasser. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the old 5.4 and I know weighs over 5000#....yours 800# lighter....10000#truck vs 5000# truck, truck will never "win". Kind of like a train...they take a mile to stop,  cant argue with physics! 250 has bigger rosters for sure and that is a great truck.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Electric over Hydraulic brakes are the answer. 2010 Ford E350 SuperDuty with the 6.8L V10, brake controller, EoH trailer brakes, and a 5Star Tune. Five years towing this around the east coast - never had a challenge getting up a ramp or grade safely. 

BTW: your 280 has likely chubbed up a bit since new. Doing the math: boat is now around 9200# (minimal fuel, minimal water, minimal holding, batteries installed).