Trim gauge

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
The only gauge that I have this isnt working is the outdrive trim level. It started acting up 2 seasons ago, and I'd tap the gauge, and it'd start working.

Is there a guide on how to test if the sending unit or gauge is the issue, or both? I dont NEED it, since I can adjust by feel, but its nice to have the info at a glance and if anyone else is driving the boat.
2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this:  Get a Phillips head screwdriver and get in the water under the stern.  Loosen the screws on the sender, rotate it by hand, and see if you get crazy readings at the gauge.  If yes, the sender is faulty.  That's an out-of-water fix because you have to remove the bell housing to replace the sender.  
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a digital sender, it's the port side.  Not sure if it's port for the analog senders.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Port side is trim limiter and starboard side of the drive is the combined analog/digital sender on my 330.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I've just had a similar problem with my port drive , not too happy with the  mechanic right now, should have been checked when the transom assemblies were out of the boat. On testing circuits the port drive was showing up when it was down. Took off the sender, it's on the stbd side of the drive, took it a part and it was full of water! ! Problem now is that installing new ones I will have to splice into the cable on the outside of the transom. Sounds like a sticky gauge in the original post, hopefully being in Detroit you are still out of the water.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Its still under shrink wrap, and I am actually outside rack storing it this year, so getting to the drive isnt hard.

Thanks for the tips. I hope its just the gauge, but from my research its almost always the sender that goes bad. Ive read that you can swap the internals if there has been water intrusion without taking the sensor off or having to splice wires? It doesnt look like the simplest job to take everything off to swap it 100%.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang , can take them apart and clean them. Worth a shot. I think I have to do it again, at the end of last season it started to act up again. The pictures aren’t in order. The first pic is of the contacts cleaned.

2008 330EC
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thanks Aero, very helpful. B)

I just ordered a new rotor for $20, as I'm sure after 8 seasons its gunked up. Hopefully I can replace the rotor, seal it back up, calibrate it, and be good to go.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced my rotors today and my bouncing needles on the gauge are now steady throughout all ranges! Just curious, where on the gauge does your trim up limit show? Mine shows at half. I guess it really doesn’t matter, but easy to adjust if needed.

Port

Starboard 

2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    They are also cheap on eBay/Amazon.  Not easily replaced however if wires are good I wouldnt think twice to solder and heat shrink in 2 new ones to go through the season.  That is if a cleaning doesnt work.  
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t underestimate a bad connection on the gage, been there. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI