Post edited by YYZRC on

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use over cleaner
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that if it’s real good SS that’s fine but I’d worry about it being cheaper quality. Also I’d worry about the acid getting on things it shouldn’t and ruining it. Agree on oven cleaner 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that if it’s real good SS that’s fine but I’d worry about it being cheaper quality. Also I’d worry about the acid getting on things it shouldn’t and ruining it. Agree on oven cleaner 
    Lib, oven cleaner is acid
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    This is an awesome analysis of what's in Easy Off...

https://www.wired.com/2008/05/st-easyoff/

I love this part: "...don't use Easy-Off on aluminum — the metal serves as a room-temperature catalyst, breaking down the NaOH and releasing flammable hydrogen gas."
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Lib, oven cleaner is acid
    Well, the stuff I use in the oven is foam and doesn’t run everywhere so it just cleans what I spray it on and that’s it, the acid I used today would run everywhere and hurt things it shouldn’t. I’ll amend my answer to this “use something that won’t run everywhere and hurt part it shouldn’t” :):)
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    3M Commercial Stainless steel cleaner and conditioner. My 10 year old Broil King looks like new. Unless a top quality stainless Muriatic acid can cause pitting and rust.
    https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/p/d/b00047111/
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you going to do to clean off the residual acid, so it is food safe, and no volatiles are present when you cook?

That is the problem ... you gonna spray down the BBQ with water after, then all your burner assemblies and igniters rust out?  If you're talking the grill and flavorizer bars only, which you can take out of the fire box ... sure ... as you can easily spray these down heavily with water and then hand dry ... the firebox .... be careful what (mess) you get yourself into.

I wouldn't do this. The absolute best way to clean a SS BBQ is a steam cleaner. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I separated the firebox from the lower housing and will clean w oven cleaner. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a used (3 times) Magma grill.  I disassembled it and sprayed it all down with oven cleaner.  Hosed it all off which got it 90% clean.  Washed each piece in hot soapy water in the sink and hand dried.  Reassembled and very pleased.  Looks like a new grill with a couple of uses.  
    $250 inc shipping for $650 new.
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold