Options

West Marine Micron CSC Sale

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
Micron CSC is going on sale tomorrow (3/24) at WM for $189.99/gallon plus a $20 mail-in rebate -- so $169.99 net price. I think that's a pretty rock bottom price for CSC nowadays.

My bottom's good for another year but I'm sure copper prices will be higher next year -- so can I buy a gallon now and will it still be good - if unopened - for when I need it next year? 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Is it Micron with BioLux?  If so, that's a great deal.  I paid $275 after tax and shipping.

Two years ago, I accidentally bought Micron without BioLux.  It stopped working after 1.5 seasons.  
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the one with Biolux is Micron Extra. It is supposed to be better than CSC, but I've used CSC for 20 years with no issues - so sticking with it.

I was going to get it from Defender.com but with shipping it winds up being the same price, so I might as well shop local and not worry about it springing a leak during shipping.

Question still remains: Will it still be good if unopened for a year?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 , I’ve used cans that were open for over a year. It should be fine, just might be tough to mix sitting that long. Maybe every few weeks or months shake it up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been burned buying in early spring and it was inventory from the previous year, so wattery on top and gunk on the bottom that I could not hand mix. Now I always take my bottom paint gallons to home depot and ask them to mix right before I paint the boat. They dont mind. But I believe I've seen paint mixers at WM too? 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Keeping in mind that bottom paint is totally location-dependent ... I won’t buy Micron without Biolux again. Just doesn’t work here. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Yes, WM has mixers. Definitely get it shaken right before using.  You'd be fine waiting a year.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Did anybody else have problems with Micron CSC bottom paint applied last year? 

I applied two coats, and it failed.  It started flaking off after a month or two.  After power-washing the hull at winter haul-out, about half of the paint was gone.  My mechanic said when he sanded it off, it was gumming up the sanding pads, almost like the paint never fully cured.  

His paint guy told him Interlux had to change the formulation because of material shortages related to the pandemic.  I can't confirm that, but I'm disappointed that $550 of paint had to be sanded off after one season.  
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    My first bottom pain was Micron CSC which it fail in the first year. Then I look around I found ViVid (white color) from Pettit, plus Pettit Protect High Build Epoxy Primer (Gray 4700/4701) as a primer and I being using it very happy for the last 10 years. My friend keep his boat in Bimini Bahama a real hot water and he used hard  Trinidad bottom paint from Pettit without any issue.
  • Options
    Here in the muddy, fresh water of the Potomac River, I started using Micron CSC Biolux about 20 years ago.  It always worked great, and it would last 3-4 years.  Then it went down to 2 years, but I never had a problem with the paint coming off until this year.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this kills the old adage “multiple coats last longer”. At least you only wasted one coat. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay