Options

Stand Up Paddle Board

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
My wife is thinking of buying me a stand up paddle board for my birthday. Do any of you guys own one? I would like to get a ridged one but an inflatable one might be the way to go for storage. What do you guys think? If I went with ridged, I would have to keep it up on the bow or in the cabin which might be a pain.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    My parents have a rigid one which I have used several times.  It's gigantic and cumbersome.  I would not want to deal with putting it on the bow.

I honestly don't think they're very fun.  If you're looking for something that allows you to explore and to get some exercise, I would get a kayak instead (understanding that they're very different).
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    My boat neighbor stores his paddleboards on his hardtop (big Regal) using mounts like that.  It would work, no question, but I don't know how you would get it up and down easily as it's 7' above the deck?  Would you use the bow access steps at the helm?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    We have both. We originally bought two hard ones 6 or 7 years ago. We were glad we went hard because all of our friends bought inflatable and all of them popped. Even the best quality had seams split and had valves go bad. None of them are now usable. Also, we were already our having fun while they were still huffing and buffing to inflate them on the beach. I am particular about my stuff so this was better for me as we let friends and nieces use them. We stored them on the bow so yes carrying them down the dock to take to the beach was not glorious. They fit nicely against the bow rail though and we ran the 342 all over the place for years with them up there. 
    All that said, fast forward to now they are not new so we were not using them much. I found I was moving them around to clean more than using them, and they were in the way, so now they stay at home so that we can easily toss them in the Yukon and go to a local beach to use them during the week while not at the boat. Works well. We bought one inflatable that we keep on the boat. It fits nicely in a storage compartment aboard and now we just inflate it when we want to use it which is not often. It is mainly to paddle the dog in to the beach to do her business (although I'll be testing fake grass on the swim platform for that this summer). It's kind of as pain to un roll it, fill it, then after using get all the air out along with any sand and roll it up and put it away. I do avoid getting it out if I can. 
    So good luck, both have major strengths and both have major weaknesses :) Both are fun! 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you ever used one?  If not rent one to be sure you like it.  Sam's Costco and cabellas all have sub 500 dollar rigid ones that dont break the bank of its too tiring of hobby for you.  This comes to you from a guy who lifts 4 days a week and at 39 will jump on the ice after a 6 month hiatus from hockey and hang with the 17/18 yr old travel team kids in  a 2 HR pick up game. 

There are different styles/sizes for different weights and uses(touring vs ocean/etc) as well as skill levels
  • Options
    It did take me several tries to be able to stand and use it, but it was like riding a bike, once I figured it out I was good to go. The inflatables to tend to be wider and more stable. 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    If you get an inflatable SUP, don't get a crappy cheap one.  They are very difficult to use because they flex too much.  
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY-LQG6DPGI
    These have become popular in my area as well. Nice option.  Most SUP's around here seem to be the inflatable ones.

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put surf board racks in the sides of your boat and blast terrible auto tuned rap music, that's probably the best way to stow water sports boards....according to wake board owners.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    We have an inflatable one and it is great!  I would never own a rigid to try to take on the boat.  Way too much of a pain.  We also keep an inflatable 2 person kayak on board.  It definitely isn't as good as rigid, but it works fine and really easy to inflate.  The SUP does take a little pumping to get it to pressure, but ok for a weekend out on anchor.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I should note that if your going rigid, go with the hard bottom/soft foam top ones. That’s what ours are so no worry about damaging boards or boat running around with it. Also more stable. The all hard ones are the fastest but less stable. 

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I have an 11' Hobie rigid SUP board and a Hobie kayak. Both are fun and great upper body exercise, but being older I prefer the kayak more and more, my knee and ankle strength isn't what it used to be. Every year Hobie has a warehouse sale nearby, and I got about 60% off the board due to a small "ding" which was easy to repair. They make high quality products and have been making surfboards since 1952! I've looked at the inflatables, but I think one inflatable (dinghy) is enough! Andy
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Aero,
    Saw this company in person at the Detroit Boat show a couple years ago. Seem like nice people & the quality looks exceptional. Was tempted to buy one on the spot.
    I've had their brochure pinned to my wall since. 

https://paddlenorth.com/

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Thanks guys, looks like I have a lot of research to do! LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    shawnmjr said: ... very firm when inflated (no jokes please lol). 
    Rigid is better.  Don't ask me how Ridgid Tools has stayed in business all these years.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try one before you buy. I tried using one that was to small at a friend's house on the lake and there was no way it was gonna work,kept falling off immediately. I used a proper size in Hawaii on choppy water and it was really stable with no issues. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
  • Options
    Love the color combo
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Love the color combo
    Thanks @YYZRC , one of the reasons I went with this one.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Looks great aero! I think you'll be very pleased.

• Options
    Nice! Enjoy!

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that nobody has mention here, is inflatable vs. Rigid on how much you weigh.  I have a nice inflatable one, that I can't ride very well (standing up)  because I weigh 220 lbs.  It is an 11 footer.  I have been on a couple different rigid ones, both 11 and 12, and I can stand up VERY easily.  I do love the inflatable though, I have an attachment for a seat, that basically turns it into a kayak.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Thanks @Liberty44140 , excited to use it!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum I’m 160 lbs. . When I blew it up today, I was shocked at how firm it was at 15 PSI. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Very happy about this. And the Inflatable kayak will now go in the forward storage bin under the forward birth.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Where do you keep life jackets? I keep mine in that space. 
  • Options
    I keep a throwable under the helm and vests in the cabin under the aft birth.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I keep a throwable under the helm and vests in the cabin under the aft birth.
    Unless you have inflatables that you wear, you may want to reconsider having them closer to you in the cockpit.  Not to come off preaching, but in cabin is too far away (take it from someone that had an emergency on the boat).  We keep our inflatable SUP in the cabin, and jackets under our port seats (wear inflatables as well).

• Options
    @Dream_Inn , I do keep two inflatables up in the cockpit also. I will put a couple of orange vests up top also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Our inflatable kayak just fits in the forward storage bin 😅.

2008 330EC