Options

Mooring boat without bow line?

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's the best way to tie up a boat with no bow line?  I have a finger dock (with cleats, no posts) but the boat is too long (finger dock is about 30' and boat will extend past the end of the finger dock by approx 10' with dinghy attached).

I can run stern lines to both sides.

No tides here to worry about. 
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
Post edited by YYZRC on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    How about a set of TideMinders ... those "string of pearls" plastic rollers that loop around a piling.  They move up and down on the piling.  You could tie to a side cleat without needing to leave slack for tide changes.  

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Shrink-TideMinders-Black-Balls/dp/B006M4XWZI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We stick out 6' or so and I still use bow lines, one to the last post on the dock on port, and one to a piling on the other side on stbd (also stick out 6' past that). I do have to make sure to loop around the post like LR's amazon pic shows. Even though we dont get a tide the line has to be able to slide easily on the post. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I used to stick out only 7’ or so and I used a bow line. I don’t think it will be useful anymore (not sure it was useful last year either). 

This was the 330 in my slip (before dinghy added). Not an issue for the bow line but with dinghy (4’) plus the 2’ itis I’m going to have the midship cleat right at the end of the finger. 

• Options
    Are you allowed to stick out 10+ feet? We had a guy last summer change boats and he stuck out over 10 ft. The marina didnt say anything all summer but he got a lot of complaint from those around him. Come fall and the marina refused to renew his contract. He was put on a waiting list for a bigger dock. 

• Options
    I am but just barely. I am on the waitlist for a longer slip. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    No piling?  What holds the finger pier in place?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Floating and anchored with chains 
  • Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, my boat sticks out around 10 ft ... the Reason I have to back in.  Use the Mid Cheat to pull forward and then Spring back on the same cleat. 

2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    Yeah, my boat sticks out around 10 ft ... the Reason I have to back in.  Use the Mid Cheat to pull forward and then Spring back on the same cleat. 

Perfect!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My slip was the same. Ran a line from the forward cleat to dock and back up to the mid cleat. Another line from the aft cleat on same side to dock and another on the other aft cleat on other side as a spring line. Worked fine.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, simplest is a spring line fwd & back.

Think I'd still try to hook up a bow line if possible.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    The stud of the sea (Capt Lee) would just drop anchor and then back in....

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what happens in a storm? I'd have to have two bow lines, stern and step off the swim platform with no lines to trip...that just makes such a difference for being in the water. If I tie mine up like that the boat seems to lean that way also..
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    My boat hangs over my slip by 10 feet. I absolutely use a bow line. Mid cleat for spring lines
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com